Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

E150 extended sumo springs / Timberen

Hope this is the correct location for this request for info.

I have a 2012 E150 extended stock van. It is built out as a stealth camper and I was considering adding either Summo Springs or Timberen. It is just to eliminate the travel when on rough road. I do not go off-road and would like to keep the somewhat reasonable ride of stock.
I did not measure the heights before I started so I am unable to fully gauge any squat, but it seems quite level.

I have thought of going all around with either but I do not have any additional load on the front so that might be unnecessary.

I have a Roadmaster front steering stabilizer fitted which I would recommend.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated.

I just don't want to turn an otherwise nice van into a rodeo bull.

Love the site.

asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Timbrens can cause excess rebound because they are made from rubber. The Sumo's don't, because they are made from urethane foam, which has good self-damping properties. But why do you want to reduce suspension travel? It's your friend when driving off road.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Thanks to CarringB I installed a set of Sumo Springs, more as a helper spring that would engage if my load caused any squat. Just before adding those though I'd added a single leaf to the stock E250 regular body rear springs.

With that combo and adding even as much as 1200# and have no more than 3/4"
rear drop from the unloaded ride height. The Sumo Springs are still well over 1" from touching the rear axle. There's no squirrely feeling but I'm not looking to do hot laps on a gymkhana course either.

I do absolutely no off-roading at all---maybe a gravel pot-holed parking lot on occasion but that's about all.

FWIW I have images of the Sumo's installed, new and after a few months. They do change color--from a bright yellow to a dull reddish-brown now.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #4

I should add that I do have Sumos as well, and I'm happy with them. They work as intended, which is to add additional spring rate without the added harshness of more steel leafs. But if you aren't trying to support extra weight, you might be better off without them.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I have the van built out with double type 31 batteries, 22 gallons of water, diesel heater tank and the usual things you carry. They are located on or just behind the rear axle.
I do no off-road work, but, thought the addition of the Sumo spring would be a helper but also limit the slight pitching when on uneven surfaces.
I was looking at the Roadmaster active system but with the extended van you have to undo the U bolts on the spring pack, northern vehicle so decided not to go there.
Does anyone know the unloaded height of these vans, I appreciate most are on E250/350 and I have a mear 150 but it would be a starting point.
Sorry I put the post in the wrong place, will try and do better next time.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #6

Well your 2012 E150 is every bit what a pre-2008 E250 was, so you have that going for you.

I guess I'm still a little confused what you're trying to accomplish... If you are trying to balance front/rear roll stiffness, adding a rear sway bar will help more.

It sounds like you're also trying to restore ride height? If you aren't having issues with hitch dragging, you might be better off as-is. A totally empty van EB is usually about 3,500 pounds on the rear axle. Sumos can restore lost ride height, if you lost ride height from added weight. But trying to lift an empty van with them, probably isn't the best application.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

The van is always loaded as it is built out. I was looking to reset the ride height to neutral with no front lift. I was also hoping that with the addition of the Sumo Springs the side to side yaw would be slightly reduced and the harsh rear suspension thump going over rough road could be mitigated/quietened and less rebound.
The van performs well and I have even driven the "tail of the dragon" with it without incident or alarm.
I might just be overthinking this.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

The can pretty much eliminate the "thump" from the rear axle, which is why I added them. The thump is caused by the lower lower leaf slapping the rest of the spring pack.

But for less body roll, you'll still want to add a rear sway bar at some point. Sumo Springs will only help a little since they are "de-coupled", where a rear sway connects the two sides.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
My 2003 E250 extended body completely empty with nothing inside weighed right on 5,300#, ride height never measured sadly. Today that same van weighs just about 7,800 as a daily driver. The additional weight was everything added to the build--nothing at all like an SMB or adventure vehicle. Its Snap On tool boxes, tools, a typical compliment of parts and supplies used as that daily driver. There are other improvements like 3/4" plywood floor, insulation, plywood door panels, metal shelving and glass rack.

If you're near a CAT scale have your current build weighed, making sure the front and rear axles are on their own load cells. At that point we'd probably be better able to offer advice.

Off the top of my head you may need an extra leaf added to your existing rear spring pack and perhaps a heavy duty rear sway---I use Hellwig and highly recommend them. Along with that would be renewing the existing front sway bar bushings or replacing it with a bar from Hellwig. The extra weight you'd added needs mechanical compensation to offset its addition. IIRC the later year E150's were rated up to 7,800, E250's rated for 8,600#, both as built and delivered from the factory.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

I’m interested in this thread too. 2011 e350 eb. Loaded with kids is 8600 lbs. Has anyone run the sumo springs on the front and did it soften the ride? If we hit a bump in the road it’s pretty jarring to the whole van. Would the sumo soften that? I already have bilstein shocks. Looking at rear too because I am over capacity of the rear springs and it sags pretty good with the camper hooked up.

On edit: I measured the gap from the stock front bumpstops and it was 1”. The total frame to axle is 3.5”. The height of the sumo spring is 4”. So if they were installed they would be already engaged. I wonder with a 1” clearance I’m hitting the bump stop on any decent size pot hole or bump. Because it sure feels like the front end is coming through the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
6EE3CB72-596B-40EE-AC10-FE3521CA4631.jpg  
NCMODELA is offline   Reply With Quote