Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

Re: Elusive Eli Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
What do the brackets fit? What problem do they solve?
They are brackets for the Fiamma awning. The SMB brackets require holes drilled in the body, and frequently cracks spread out from these holes. Eli's brackets are modifications of Fiamma VW awning brackets and clamp onto the rain gutter, no holes in the body.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
What do the brackets fit? What problem do they solve?
They are brackets for the Fiamma awning. The SMB brackets require holes drilled in the body, and frequently cracks spread out from these holes. Eli's brackets are modifications of Fiamma VW awning brackets and clamp onto the rain gutter, no holes in the body.

Mike
Ah ok, a bit late for my van then.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Site Team

A bit of back-story.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=880&hilit=+eli

Herb
Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I talked to Eli several months ago about making these and he gave me the go ahead- however I have no unmodified ones to take design off of and no drawings- Herb, you want to sell me those so I can copy them and get some quotes?
I'll buy a pair of "Jage's Brackets" if you start making them.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #15

Elusive Eli Brackets

I too contacted Eli a couple months back and he said he is no longer making the brackets. I am developing cracks in the sheet metal so I am desperately looking for replacements. If Jage is interested in making some I am buying. That said, I don't have any brackets to copy but would offer up my current brackets if that helps. Jage, I am in Fruita (outside of Grand Junction) if you could use the brackets for modifications.
canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #16

Garage
Elusive Eli Brackets

Good news. I am going over to my friend machine shop tomorrow or Friday with my awning, van, and the posted pictures of the brackets that can be scaled. Frank who owns the shop said it should be no big deal to reproduce. I'll ask if he can make some extra sets if he even makes me some. He is one of those guys and shops that can build about anything. I'll report back.

Brad
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #17

As has been said, make sure you have them built so the awning is spaced away from the side of the van. If you make them close to the PH side as Eli did, closing the PH means bringing it down while pulling it to the opposite side of the van, until the PH just clears the brackets, then pushing/pulling the PH top back to center so it will sit square in the rain troughs. It's not that hard but it is a bit of a PITA and completely unnecessary.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

Here is what I did in lieu of Eli's brackets. Did this as soon as I got my 'new' SMB home a few weeks ago and urgently before a Baja trip. Noticed the sheet metal splitting from the SMB 'temporary' expansion nuts.

A friend (used to do fabrication and repairs on F-14s) and I came up with this. Tacked stainless bolts through 2 pieces of 1/16" stainless sheet (if you look closely there's 2 layers below the crease in the body panel and 1 above). My 'new' SMB is pretty industrial so I was not concerned about this looking commercial and/or rough.

Pretty cheap fix, $40 in materials (with a lot of stainless sheet left over). Took a couple of hours. I like having the 2nd lower attachment point that I don't believe Eli's brackets have? I believe the stainless plate should be stiff enough to adequately spread any load on the body panel, both outward or inward. Should survive Baja now, made it through the first trip with flying colors.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20120105-00033.jpg   IMG-20120105-00034.jpg  
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #19

webbmac, I like your ingenuity. Question though, how are the brackets bolts/nuts attached? Are they attached to the sheet metal? What is behind the sheet metal? How are they tightened?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #20

Just fyi, my van is 10 years old, and I haven't seen any cracks.... where do they form?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote