Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Orv

Garage
Exterior light mounting

After camping in my newly-acquired 1990 E-250 Sportsmobile, I decided I wanted more outdoor lighting around the van. I got some LED floodlights, but now I'm trying to decide how to mount them. They're the typical kind of pod lights that mount with a single bolt.

The areas I particularly want to cover are around the side doors and around the rear cargo doors. My van has barn doors so I have to take into account the door swing -- mounting alongside the doors won't work because they'll just block the light.

I've thought about mounting to the penthouse top, but I'm afraid if a treebranch or something hits one of the lights it will fracture the fiberglass. Maybe I'm overthinking that?

Anyone have a bracket setup they really like?

Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Nothing to contribute, but I have been thinking about the same thing and I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. I was thinking about one right behind the aft side door mounted to the gutter would be good. Door wouldn't hit it and it would light the campsite.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Roof rack is the option I am planning on, or what about a magnet and stow them when not in use? Could put a power port on the exterior and place as you want then
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

3M VHB tape, it'll stay there forever, if you want to take it out you can use a piano wire, fishing line, saw wire and an entire weekend.
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Orv

Garage
Gutter is my current leading idea. I have some thick aluminum sheet (OK, I have some old license plates) and could maybe fab up a bracket. I think it would have to attach to the top of the gutter, not the bottom, so as not to funnel water toward the door seals.

Magnets are a clever idea. I think I want at least the rear lamps to be permanently mounted, though, so I can use them as additional reverse lights.

VHB tape is an interesting thought. I've never used it in exterior situations. Does it really stand up to weather? It would have the advantage of being able to attach to fiberglass without drilling it and creating a potential stress point.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Gutter is my current leading idea. I have some thick aluminum sheet (OK, I have some old license plates) and could maybe fab up a bracket. I think it would have to attach to the top of the gutter, not the bottom, so as not to funnel water toward the door seals.

Magnets are a clever idea. I think I want at least the rear lamps to be permanently mounted, though, so I can use them as additional reverse lights.

VHB tape is an interesting thought. I've never used it in exterior situations. Does it really stand up to weather? It would have the advantage of being able to attach to fiberglass without drilling it and creating a potential stress point.
Dude, people use it to mount solar panels without screws in a van and rvs roofs,
this tape is used to hold windows in buildings... I know I was skeptic when I read that, then I tried myself and I was impressed by how strong the bond is.
Is the same stuff in gopro sticky mounts.... easy to use just peel and stick, super hard to undo...
As always preparation of the surface is really important, but you'll probably rip the paint\primer off the metal sheet before the foam in the tape gives you a chance to peel a corner, give it a try.
I use it for everything even at home.
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Orv

Garage
Thanks, never would have thought of that. I've used it to fasten stuff to dashboards before -- it excels at that -- but never would have thought of it for this.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Garage
There is a whole array of roof gutter mounts that could be used...can purchase the ones that Aluminess uses to hang the side ladders (just call them), or google and you'll come across many like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smittybilt-...4:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Unless you drill through the outside, Running the cables around the roof will be interesting...

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
Those clamps are really nice, but I just can't see myself paying $207 for a bracket to hold a 4-for-$25 lamp.

Cabling will depend on where the lights go. If I attach them to the gutter I'll probably have to drill a hole for the cable -- possibly under the rain gutter so I can incorporate a drip loop. If they go on the penthouse top, I'll probably use a coiled cable and piggyback on the existing roof penetrations. I've got TV antenna wiring up there I'm not using.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I'm afraid if a treebranch or something hits one of the lights it will fracture the fiberglass. Maybe I'm overthinking that?
I think that no matter how you mount the lights, if you hit a tree branch hard enough, something gonna give. I just mounted an ARB awning, and it was instantly clear that it would be ripped off on the first decent sized branch. Since I seem to do a lot of brush crashing, it's a problem. I built my solar panel rack with sloping tubes in the front, so branches simply slide up and over the panels and the Fantastic fan housing. I'm planning something similar that will incorporate some tubing that will protect the windshield and continue up to the roof, ending slightly above the top of the awning so branches will just slide up and over. Clearly though, that's not the solution your looking for. If you end up with a roof rack, you can try to hide the lights between or under the rack. Magnetic mounts sound good too since they will just pull off. I ran my wires out the third brake light hole, but my top is a little different. Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote