Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Factory Ford front seats in the back?

I have an 02 EB passenger model with benches. I have 2 benches behind the front seats now which give each of my kids a lot of room to stretch out, but i really miss all of the room my Chateau 4 capt. chair model had (just 4 chairs, rear benches removed and home-build cabinets/interior in the back).
Has anyone gone to a junkyard and just pulled 2 from the front of a van and added them behind. It is important to me that they match the front seats which are the regular gray velour ones with inner armrest which are in tons of late model Ford vans. I am not concerned about bolting them to the floor with large washers/bolts. I think i can make that safe. I'm more worried about the factory seat belts working out. I think this will work but am not sure. Anyone done this?
thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #2

Re: Factory Ford front seats in the back?

I have a Chateau and would like another set of captain chairs in place of the rear bench. I have looked for the Chateau seats and there are pretty hard to find. I think using front seats would work fine. The seat belts look like they are the same. The only issues I see is 1) they are not removable 2) front seats have only one inside arm rest.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Thx Millerfish, those are my thoughts exactly. I would love to happen upon a Chateau with a gray interior and 4 good seats w/ armrests and rear removable bases, but that would be a goldmine and probably cost me a grand.
Anyway, i'm sure it's been done, i'm hoping someone will have some pics. I know the right rear would be inset a bit, but the base of the Chateau seats compensates for this if i remember right so that everything lines up and looks right. I'm wondering how out of place it would look with the standard seat/base. I guess if i get bored, i can just take my front seats out and experiment with them back there.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

The previous owner of my van put 2 front seats in the back. I pulled them out and replaced with Toyota seats. But it looked like he had just unbolted the female seatbelt socked from the bench seat and bolted it to the OEM captains chairs. He also swapped left for right so the armrest were on the outside and not inside. To do this he obviously swapped the bases over since the bases are offset.

These are the best pic's I can find.

Previous owner also put a F150 center console between them, worked perfectly and perfect color match.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Thanks Sheepshagger, that's what i'm looking for! I mostly wanted to see what you have in the middle picture, the offset of the R rear seat with the R front seat. It doesn't look bad from what i can see. i did this years ago with a Chevy van and just used big washers to bolt the seats in. What did you or the previous owner do on yours? Also, you don't still have the seats do you?
Thanks for the pics
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

The offset was not bad at all, it took me a long time to notice there was one actually. That's obviously why the previous owner swapped the bases over when he wanted the arm rests in the outside position rather than inside, if you look at the OEM seat bases they are offset. Remember not to get an electric base though, a they are different.
Seats were bolted down with big / huge washers, perfectly safe.
Sorry I sold all 4 chairs, they were perfect condition, I think I listed them for $400 on this site and accepted $300.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

SheepShagger,

Was your old/original drivers seat a power seat? I never have seen a drivers seat with trim like that one. I am looking for a factory gray power seat.

Thanks..
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

Not to intrude on Sheepshagger, but that's what my 02 driver's seat looks like and it is power, with manual lumbar.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
SheepShagger,

Was your old/original drivers seat a power seat? I never have seen a drivers seat with trim like that one. I am looking for a factory gray power seat.

Thanks..
Sorry, I missed this. It's the OEM from a 06 E350, power up down / forward / back with manual lumbar and back tilt. (XLT model). The trim was the same on all the 4 seats I had, and only 1 of the 4 was power.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #10

Now its my turn to say sorry I missed that...Thanks for the reply I have been looking for a gray factory power drivers seat...too bad I missed your set up...What did you do to mount the Ford pyrotechnic seat belt on the Toyota seats?
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote