Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Garage
Factory Trailer Brake

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2014 E350 5.4l 2wd and need to use it to tow and of course it doesn't have the tow package. I know I can get an aftermarket trailer brake controller installed but I love how clean the factory one looks. Has anyone looked into doing that or is it considerably cheaper to just put an aftermarket one on.

Also, Who has put in an aftermarket stereo receiver (preferably gps) or done anything to improve the sound system, and what did you choose?!

Thanks for the help!

Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

I have a 2011 E350 and was in the same position. I made several calls to see if I could order the factory brake controller and install it after the fact. I was assured by two sources that it wouldn't work so I went aftermarket. Didn't want to take the chance...I agree about the cleaner look and have factory installed brake controllers on my other Ford F-350 -
bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #3

Couldn't be happier with this one:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EX/AVH-4100NEX

Cheaper than the model with GPS. Runs navigation off of iPhone through Car Play. More expensive version with GPS built in if you are concerned with traveling to locations beyond the capability of iPhone.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

I think to install the factory brake controller you also have to swap the master cylinder, because the brake controller requires brake pressure input. Non-IBC vans only have a pressure switch. I don't know if only the sender/switch can be swapped, only that when it first came out, dealers had to make the swap. Also I believe the dashboard message center is another requirement.

If that all sounds like too much work, Tuscon Brake makes a nice controller which interfaces with the CAN-BUS and provides proportional braking using the wheel speed channel. I'm considering upgrading to one, because I also want ABS on my trailer.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Garage
Hey Guys thank you so much for the help!

Ya I talked to the ford dealership and all he said was it would be a lot of work which basically amounted to $$$$. I am just gonna have to go with an aftermarket trailer break controller since it makes the most sense financially (and then I can spend more money on other stuff).

Bolty - I know and I totally wish I could have found as low of miles van as the one I did with the trailer package but it was hard enough finding this one!

TwoVans - Thanks for the recommendation I will check it out.

Carringb - That definitely sounds like too much work ha ha. I will look into the Tuscon controllers, appreciate the help!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Garage
Carringb - but I do have the message center... maybe ill go talk to the dealer more in-depth and see how much i can do on my own to get it done, I will have to deal with the brake system when I convert the van anyway.