Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
First post Chevy advice

New to forum, but have been doing my research. Want to build mt bike van with room for 3-4 mountain bikes in the van. Here is my plan based on research. Really welcome suggestions and input from those with first hand experience. Thanks in advance.
- new Chevy 3500 with 6.0, locking rear, nav, rear/side door opening windows, HD alternator, 2d battery, power mirrors, etc.
- Quigley 4wd with 3” lift, shocks and swaybar
- Aluminess bumpers, winch, box, spare carrier, ladder
- probably 285/70-17 and nice wheels
- CCV high top with some solar on top
- Sportsmobile North, close to EB 51 so bikes can go behind bench seat. Cassette toilet? (For wife).

Getting ready to order the van. Won’t get it until June b/c of Quigley bag log, but happy to wait to get it right. Thanks for looking. Pls advise.
__________________

xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
REF
Senior Member
 
REF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO.
Posts: 1,815
Send a message via MSN to REF
Are you bringing it out to CO. for CCV pop top install?
Take a look at BOR for your 4X4 and any other fabrication needs
http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com
__________________

__________________
'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
(de)SMB'd Custom RB-50
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile Offroad's R.I.P. package
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
GAR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseal View Post
New to forum, but have been doing my research. Want to build mt bike van with room for 3-4 mountain bikes in the van. Here is my plan based on research. Really welcome suggestions and input from those with first hand experience. Thanks in advance.
- new Chevy 3500 with 6.0, locking rear, nav, rear/side door opening windows, HD alternator, 2d battery, power mirrors, etc.
- Quigley 4wd with 3” lift, shocks and swaybar
- Aluminess bumpers, winch, box, spare carrier, ladder
- probably 285/70-17 and nice wheels
- CCV high top with some solar on top
- Sportsmobile North, close to EB 51 so bikes can go behind bench seat. Cassette toilet? (For wife).

Getting ready to order the van. Won’t get it until June b/c of Quigley bag log, but happy to wait to get it right. Thanks for looking. Pls advise.
When you order, don’t go to the dealer and speak to the floor salesman. Ask to speak with the “Fleet Sales Manager.” I was able to order my new Chevy below invoice. And yes, there is a seperate “invoice” price on the fourwheel drive Quigley installs, and not all dealers will give you invoice on that. Though mine did, its not a deal breaker if they don’t, mine offered and it wotked out for me.

Some dealers will work with you, some wont. December is the best month to place your order. If one Fleet Manager won’t work with you, call or visit another. Some dealerships have met their sales goals for the year/ month, some have not. You find one that has not, and you’re likley to get the best deal from him.

When you meet the fleet guy for the first time, be cool, and try to build a repore with him. I met with a few fleet guys and took my time chosing a good dealership. I was able to make good with the fleet manager, and he and I are good friends to this day! If I ever buy another new vehicle, it will be from him.

Any questions, send me a PM. Happy to help.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Are you bringing it out to CO. for CCV pop top install?
Take a look at BOR for your 4X4 and any other fabrication needs
Home
That is the plan. I'll look at this but am pretty sold in Quigley conversion for IFS and warranty. Thanks.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
WhitH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 845
Sounds like it’s going to be a really sweet rig. Drive it around for awhile and see how you like it, but something to consider early on is a set of custom Fox shocks from Weldtec Design. They really do make a big difference. Also, be cautious amount the amount of offset you order on the custom wheel with tires at that size. I think that size is perfect on these rigs, but too much negative offset on the wheels and you’ll probably be rubbing the fender wells. I have 285s with zero offset. GAR could shed some light on what he has or you could go back and check his build thread. I think his tires are actually a bit bigger.
__________________
2015 Chevy Express 3500 Duramax
w/ Quigley 4x4 & Agile Fox shocks
Sold 2005 E350 Chateau
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Sounds like it’s going to be a really sweet rig. Drive it around for awhile and see how you like it, but something to consider early on is a set of custom Fox shocks from Weldtec Design. They really do make a big difference. Also, be cautious amount the amount of offset you order on the custom wheel with tires at that size. I think that size is perfect on these rigs, but too much negative offset on the wheels and you’ll probably be rubbing the fender wells. I have 285s with zero offset. GAR could shed some light on what he has or you could go back and check his build thread. I think his tires are actually a bit bigger.
Thanks. So for 285/70, do I want 8x17 rim with zero offset?
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
WhitH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 845
I think that’s perfect. Just don’t go with a lot of negative offset pushing the outside of the wheel/tire too far outside of the fender.
__________________
2015 Chevy Express 3500 Duramax
w/ Quigley 4x4 & Agile Fox shocks
Sold 2005 E350 Chateau
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
4x4sporty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KY
Posts: 199
If you don't want to wait I found a place in Missouri that stocks several Quigley 4x4 cargos.
Might be an option

https://commercial.weberchev.com/?bo...erm=worktrucks
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #9
GAR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 256
My Chevy wheel & Tire recommendations

Link to my build thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...4x4-19494.html


Below are the wheels and tires I’m running. The wheels are not the normal Method Racing wheel. Method makes a “heavy duty” model (looks the same as the regular Method), but are rated at 4500 pounds (look for the “H” at the end of the part #). It may be overkill, but my philosophy is, “If it’s worth killing, it’s worth over killing.” -And these vans can get heavy quick once you start building them out. Last thing you want is a wheel failure while far away. The Toyo tires also have a higher weight rating than other Toyo tires of similar size.

Note: I did trim the removable fiberglass fender piece a tad. It was easily removed and trimmed with an angle grinder using a flap disc sander. It’s not noticeable when completed. I also had to use some heat to reshape the plastic mud shield, not hard to do at all (far easier than the pre-dive on a MK16 rig).

Gar

My set-up:
Wheels: Method Racing 305 NV HD 17x8.5 PN# MR30578580500H
Load rating: 4500 lbs.

Tires: Toyo Open Country M/T LT295/70 R17 (33.5 inch) (33" measured after mounting).
Load rating: 3970 lbs.
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Link to my build thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...4x4-19494.html


Below are the wheels and tires I’m running. The wheels are not the normal Method Racing wheel. Method makes a “heavy duty” model (looks the same as the regular Method), but are rated at 4500 pounds (look for the “H” at the end of the part #). It may be overkill, but my philosophy is, “If it’s worth killing, it’s worth over killing.” -And these vans can get heavy quick once you start building them out. Last thing you want is a wheel failure while far away. The Toyo tires also have a higher weight rating than other Toyo tires of similar size.

Note: I did trim the removable fiberglass fender piece a tad. It was easily removed and trimmed with an angle grinder using a flap disc sander. It’s not noticeable when completed. I also had to use some heat to reshape the plastic mud shield, not hard to do at all (far easier than the pre-dive on a MK16 rig).

Gar

My set-up:
Wheels: Method Racing 305 NV HD 17x8.5 PN# MR30578580500H
Load rating: 4500 lbs.

Tires: Toyo Open Country M/T LT295/70 R17 (33.5 inch) (33" measured after mounting).
Load rating: 3970 lbs.
Very helpful. Thanks. I don’t see pics on your thread. Any I can see?
__________________

xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Agnes

ranchero

BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×