Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #1

First post Chevy advice

New to forum, but have been doing my research. Want to build mt bike van with room for 3-4 mountain bikes in the van. Here is my plan based on research. Really welcome suggestions and input from those with first hand experience. Thanks in advance.
- new Chevy 3500 with 6.0, locking rear, nav, rear/side door opening windows, HD alternator, 2d battery, power mirrors, etc.
- Quigley 4wd with 3” lift, shocks and swaybar
- Aluminess bumpers, winch, box, spare carrier, ladder
- probably 285/70-17 and nice wheels
- CCV high top with some solar on top
- Sportsmobile North, close to EB 51 so bikes can go behind bench seat. Cassette toilet? (For wife).

Getting ready to order the van. Won’t get it until June b/c of Quigley bag log, but happy to wait to get it right. Thanks for looking. Pls advise.

xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Are you bringing it out to CO. for CCV pop top install?
Take a look at BOR for your 4X4 and any other fabrication needs
http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseal View Post
New to forum, but have been doing my research. Want to build mt bike van with room for 3-4 mountain bikes in the van. Here is my plan based on research. Really welcome suggestions and input from those with first hand experience. Thanks in advance.
- new Chevy 3500 with 6.0, locking rear, nav, rear/side door opening windows, HD alternator, 2d battery, power mirrors, etc.
- Quigley 4wd with 3” lift, shocks and swaybar
- Aluminess bumpers, winch, box, spare carrier, ladder
- probably 285/70-17 and nice wheels
- CCV high top with some solar on top
- Sportsmobile North, close to EB 51 so bikes can go behind bench seat. Cassette toilet? (For wife).

Getting ready to order the van. Won’t get it until June b/c of Quigley bag log, but happy to wait to get it right. Thanks for looking. Pls advise.
When you order, don’t go to the dealer and speak to the floor salesman. Ask to speak with the “Fleet Sales Manager.” I was able to order my new Chevy below invoice. And yes, there is a seperate “invoice” price on the fourwheel drive Quigley installs, and not all dealers will give you invoice on that. Though mine did, its not a deal breaker if they don’t, mine offered and it wotked out for me.

Some dealers will work with you, some wont. December is the best month to place your order. If one Fleet Manager won’t work with you, call or visit another. Some dealerships have met their sales goals for the year/ month, some have not. You find one that has not, and you’re likley to get the best deal from him.

When you meet the fleet guy for the first time, be cool, and try to build a repore with him. I met with a few fleet guys and took my time chosing a good dealership. I was able to make good with the fleet manager, and he and I are good friends to this day! If I ever buy another new vehicle, it will be from him.

Any questions, send me a PM. Happy to help.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Are you bringing it out to CO. for CCV pop top install?
Take a look at BOR for your 4X4 and any other fabrication needs
Home
That is the plan. I'll look at this but am pretty sold in Quigley conversion for IFS and warranty. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Sounds like it’s going to be a really sweet rig. Drive it around for awhile and see how you like it, but something to consider early on is a set of custom Fox shocks from Weldtec Design. They really do make a big difference. Also, be cautious amount the amount of offset you order on the custom wheel with tires at that size. I think that size is perfect on these rigs, but too much negative offset on the wheels and you’ll probably be rubbing the fender wells. I have 285s with zero offset. GAR could shed some light on what he has or you could go back and check his build thread. I think his tires are actually a bit bigger.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Sounds like it’s going to be a really sweet rig. Drive it around for awhile and see how you like it, but something to consider early on is a set of custom Fox shocks from Weldtec Design. They really do make a big difference. Also, be cautious amount the amount of offset you order on the custom wheel with tires at that size. I think that size is perfect on these rigs, but too much negative offset on the wheels and you’ll probably be rubbing the fender wells. I have 285s with zero offset. GAR could shed some light on what he has or you could go back and check his build thread. I think his tires are actually a bit bigger.
Thanks. So for 285/70, do I want 8x17 rim with zero offset?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

I think that’s perfect. Just don’t go with a lot of negative offset pushing the outside of the wheel/tire too far outside of the fender.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #8

If you don't want to wait I found a place in Missouri that stocks several Quigley 4x4 cargos.
Might be an option

https://commercial.weberchev.com/?bo...erm=worktrucks
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
GAR

My Chevy wheel & Tire recommendations

Link to my build thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...4x4-19494.html

Below are the wheels and tires I’m running. The wheels are not the normal Method Racing wheel. Method makes a “heavy duty” model (looks the same as the regular Method), but are rated at 4500 pounds (look for the “H” at the end of the part #). It may be overkill, but my philosophy is, “If it’s worth killing, it’s worth over killing.” -And these vans can get heavy quick once you start building them out. Last thing you want is a wheel failure while far away. The Toyo tires also have a higher weight rating than other Toyo tires of similar size.

Note: I did trim the removable fiberglass fender piece a tad. It was easily removed and trimmed with an angle grinder using a flap disc sander. It’s not noticeable when completed. I also had to use some heat to reshape the plastic mud shield, not hard to do at all (far easier than the pre-dive on a MK16 rig).

Gar

My set-up:
Wheels: Method Racing 305 NV HD 17x8.5 PN# MR30578580500H
Load rating: 4500 lbs.

Tires: Toyo Open Country M/T LT295/70 R17 (33.5 inch) (33" measured after mounting).
Load rating: 3970 lbs.
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Link to my build thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...4x4-19494.html

Below are the wheels and tires I’m running. The wheels are not the normal Method Racing wheel. Method makes a “heavy duty” model (looks the same as the regular Method), but are rated at 4500 pounds (look for the “H” at the end of the part #). It may be overkill, but my philosophy is, “If it’s worth killing, it’s worth over killing.” -And these vans can get heavy quick once you start building them out. Last thing you want is a wheel failure while far away. The Toyo tires also have a higher weight rating than other Toyo tires of similar size.

Note: I did trim the removable fiberglass fender piece a tad. It was easily removed and trimmed with an angle grinder using a flap disc sander. It’s not noticeable when completed. I also had to use some heat to reshape the plastic mud shield, not hard to do at all (far easier than the pre-dive on a MK16 rig).

Gar

My set-up:
Wheels: Method Racing 305 NV HD 17x8.5 PN# MR30578580500H
Load rating: 4500 lbs.

Tires: Toyo Open Country M/T LT295/70 R17 (33.5 inch) (33" measured after mounting).
Load rating: 3970 lbs.
Very helpful. Thanks. I don’t see pics on your thread. Any I can see?