Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

I have a Fiberine 20" top on my 2006 EB. That gets me 5'11" standing height with 1" flooring and 3/4" roof insulation.

I do not recommend having Fiberine do the installation. I have seen their installation work and was not impressed. I drove to their facility and had them place the top on my van, then used ratchet straps to secure it while driving home.

I left the original roof intact over the cab and behind the last roof cross member. Doing so provides two big storage areas and helps retain body stiffness during offroad travel.

PM if you choose to do your own installation and have questions.

Brit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Garage
Britt 55, pm sent.

So many tough choices to make planning your build out.
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Go with the biggest top you can afford . The only bad thing is not going to the drive through to get the poison they sell lol
Ha ha so true. I thought about it one day and realized if I got a hard top the stuff I wouldn't be able to drive through is all the stuff I probably shouldn't have anyway.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit55 View Post
I have a Fiberine 20" top on my 2006 EB. That gets me 5'11" standing height with 1" flooring and 3/4" roof insulation.

I do not recommend having Fiberine do the installation. I have seen their installation work and was not impressed. I drove to their facility and had them place the top on my van, then used ratchet straps to secure it while driving home.

I left the original roof intact over the cab and behind the last roof cross member. Doing so provides two big storage areas and helps retain body stiffness during offroad travel.

PM if you choose to do your own installation and have questions.
So you just have a hold in the middle then? I'm trying to visualize it. Either way it sounds like a good idea even if you aren't worried about structure as it provides more of a shelf and you could utilize the original headliner for most of it.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #15

Garage
Jsweezy,

I think Brit55 means he left the last roof section before the rear doors in place. I was planning to leave above cab intact (storage and roll-over protection) but trying to retain as much roof rigidity as possible seems smart.

And... I'm back thinking about the 20" again.

I've read a few comments from folks over 10' that most trail branches seem to be 9'6" high . I plan to use truck bed liner for the high top but as many already know, the first scratch is always the hardest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
So you just have a hold in the middle then? I'm trying to visualize it. Either way it sounds like a good idea even if you aren't worried about structure as it provides more of a shelf and you could utilize the original headliner for most of it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #16

that's what I did too, actually I left 2 sections (About 4ft)
Attached Thumbnails
2017-04-23 17.16.16.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #17

Garage
luked,

You have your cutout dimensions handy? Should be same as mine if I leave the last rear roof section since I'm a RB vs. your EB

Seems like upper storage areas along side would be stronger with more roof material to carry the weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
that's what I did too, actually I left 2 sections (About 4ft)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #18

My cut out ended up being exactly 7' long by 4' 6" wide

I did it this way out of convenience more than anything. I needed a bunk up there and I'm going to have a 4-6" cabinet hanging below it (like a westfalia) so less to build and support. It is actually going to work out really well, and there is no chance of my kids falling down on top of me this way Haha
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #19

Garage
Thanks luked!