Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Flip up window repair

Our rear driver side flip up window detached from the from. I was quoted $500 to replace the whole window. The mechanic said that it cannot be repaired because the window is vacuum sealed when the window is built and cannot be fixed. Well using some tips from the forum I did my best using clear gorilla glue/epoxy. The hardest thing to do was putting pressure to the window to allow the epoxy to set. I used a set up involving a couple of 4x4 posts and some bungy cords. We will see how it works. Feels pretty strong though.
Attached Thumbnails
20170511_120610.jpg  

ryanweaselsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Common failure on these. I talked to the manufacturer, got the correct glue from them, it lasted a couple months.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...lue-12146.html

I'm giving up and having mine replaced next month... with the same crappy windows, as nothing else will fit.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

How's the gorilla glue holding up?

Last fall I had one of mine detach from the hinge and I repaired it with RTV silicone (what I had on-hand), but that failed earlier this spring. (Fortunately it fell off in my hand when I opened the window, though it could easily have fallen off while down the road...)

I was also thinking of using Gorilla Glue for another attempt at repair, but would like to first know if it was successful for you.
NattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm very, very late to this thread but since I'm already in the auto glass biz might be able to help...............

If the glass piece has come loose from a metal top hinge auto glass adhesive like used in every bonded windshield installation will work perfectly for reattaching. While the materials wouldn't necessarily be cheap their use would typically be a "forever" thing, not prone to failure over time.

Adhesives like Gorilla Glue are NOT intended for this sort of material bonding. Most epoxies also not really effective in this application.

I'm happy to recommend materials one could most likely source locally but I'd need/want photos of what you're trying to accomplish. PM's would tend to answered very quickly.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Robb, do they still make the framed version of these? Would one fit in the same opening? This might be a question for 1der as well. I had no problem with the look of my framed CRL awning windows on my older SMB, and they don't come apart. The frameless look great, of course, but the older ones didn't exactly look old IMO.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

If anyone wants to try to glue the CR Laurence windows back together.. I got the stuff they recommended for sale here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post206534

I didnt have good luck with it.. but maybe that's operator error. I've been known to screw shit up before.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:36 AM   #7
JWA

One of the best adhesives for what I believe you guys are trying to repair is a 3M product: 3Mâ„¢ Channel Bonding and Sidelite Adhesive It really is an amazing product, fairly easy to use IF one follows the instructions.

It does resemble "normal" epoxy however its specially formulated for automotive use. Exposure to elements, constant vibrations and materials to be bonded are factors 3M used designing this product

Its downside is its 3M meaning its costly and in this case pretty much requires using their suggested tools for proper application and use. Even the least expensive of those are a bit expensive for a one time application but since this would eliminate replacing the entire window acquiring the whole system might be cost effective.

Any further questions please ask----I'm sure this isn't a pleasant prospect if it happens to an already-finished or built-out van.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #8

A follow up to my situation.

I ended up going to a local auto body shop and had them re-bond the glass to the aluminum hinge. They used a urethane-based adhesive which the tech said they also use for installing windshields.

$50 and an hour out of my day, and the window is now fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Wanted to give an update that the window repair has so far held strong through 4 seasons and several thousand miles.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyT View Post
Wanted to give an update that the window repair has so far held strong through 4 seasons and several thousand miles.
That's great news, a real piece of mind I'm sure.

Almost any automotive-type adhesive especially those used to bond windshields to the body tend to outlast the vehicle itself. If its properly applied it should last forever.