Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Foam Insulation to stay cool

This is the way I keep cool in the back of van. I tried fans, roof vents, swamp coolers, leaving the windows open etc. The only thing that kind of work was leaving the sliding door open but I prefer to keep my doors closed.

Using a IR thermometer I went around to see where all the heat was coming from. The biggest culprits was the roof and windows. The roof headliner was falling down, I removed that to expose the metal roof. Even though the windows had dark window tint, when the sun hits it , it heats the glass and the heat goes in the van.

At home depot I bought some rtech foam insulation 1/2 inch thick 4 foot by 8 foot sheet costs about 9 dollars. You can easily cut it with box cutters or scissors. Some people use spray glue that comes in a spray can or other glues. Myself I used my 20 dollar pro100 hot gluegun I bought at harbor freight, I also use the glue sticks they sell there. Installation is fairly simple, i wasnt sure how well the hot glue was going to work so I cut the foam into small 1 foot by 1 foot or smaller, I didnt even use a ruler, just eyeball it . If its too big or small just cut a piece off or add some smaller piece of foam to cover all areas. Some areas I added an extra layer of foam, the thicker the foam the better results you get. Hot glue works great in 2 years that I've had the foam on my roof none has fallen off. Just wear gloves and goggle when using the hot glue it will burn you.

I also put foam on all the rear windows and all areas that I felt heat coming in. I built a divider separating the front of the van with the rear including a sliding door. These dividers are basically thin wood with some of the foam sandwich in between.

Does it work? I enclose a picture of a thermometer measuring the front of the van with the rear of the van. Park in the sun around 12 noon. 133 degrees in the front and 89 degrees in the back. In the back I had a 12 volt swamp cooler running (putting out 71 degrees) no windows/vents/doors were open in the back. Normally the swamp cooler wouldnt keep a large area cool, but with the foam insulation I was nice and comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
oem insulation a.jpg   foam roof 3.jpg   temp gauge 133 81.jpg   temp swamp.jpg  

jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #2

I just bought some foam today. I plan to cut pieces to go in all the back windows. I'm not sure I want to glue it in though, so I'll probably make some sort of cam latch. To isolate the front of the van I'm thinking of making a curtain out of some fabric similar to "Warm windows". It's designed to insulate home windows and has several layers of insulation. I'm looking forward to staying warmer in winter and cooler in summer...
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

So would you say you used a 1/2 layer in most areas or did you double it up? I'm about to do the same to my box van camper
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog View Post
So would you say you used a 1/2 layer in most areas or did you double it up? I'm about to do the same to my box van camper
I haven't installed mine yet, but I'd guess that the more you can use the better.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #5

some areas you can get away with a single layer of foam, but usually in the corners you might double it, An IR thermometer comes in handy. But the more you use the better, 2 x 4x8 foot sheets of foam will cover alot of area.

The hot glue works great because it sets quickly, and it has no problem sticking to most surfaces including the back of another foam layer. One reason to cut foam in small sections it to quickly apply the glue and install the foam before it starts to dry.

The windows I used double sided tape to install the foam.

if you have roof vents, you can make a foam cover for it and cover it when not in use. I notice alot of heat coming in through the vents. I have three roof vents and they are all covered. The only opening in the rear of the van is a small rectangular hole I cut to the side of the van, this is where I connected flexible ducting to get air into the swamp cooler.
jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote