Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Question Ford BUILD&PRICE restrictions / GVWR / swivel / alternator / PATS / seats / etc.

Ford BUILD&PRICE restrictions / GVWR / swivel / alternator / PATS / seats / etc.

Hi all

When I custom configure and order our Transit - is it best that I keep the GVWR UNDER 10,000 to avoid certain road, etc restrictions?
I can set it to 9,950 GVWR?

Do I want to bother getting PATS for $75? Passive anti theft immobilizer.

Do I want to get the heavy duty alternator?

I like the long arm side mirrors… is it worth the extra $ to get Turn Signals on them? (I live in busy So Cal traffic)

If I want to add a driver seat swivel after we get the van, specifically what seat do we need to get? Power? Manual? Do i need the push down manual parking brake?

What does it mean when I add cloth manual seats, it then says “less side airbags, less safety canopy side curtain air bags” … does that mean i DO NOT get those airbags if I pick that seat? :-(

Why in this day and age do they charge $325 for cruise control? Ug.

and… Whenever i can convince my wife for us to get a new Transit and have an up fitter build out the interior…. very likely SMB-W - we’ll custom order a Transit 22’ high roof, with dual sliders, and just what we want, and nothing we don’t want….

so we will order it from the factory. No question

My question is - when go on Ford BUILD&PRICE webpage, often when i go to add an option, it insists that I remove another option… often with parameters that don’t make any sense as to why getting one thing means removing another.

Along the lines of, for example - I had an AGM battery selected from Ford factory build, then wanted to add the manual parking brake, and it insisted on removing the AGM. Stuff like that. Or even more obscure parameters.

If we order from Ford, directly… are we tied to *exactly* what the Ford BUILD&PRICE website offers?

or is there more ‘wiggle room’ with what you can get when custom ordering from the factory?

also…

what are some of the DON’T FORGET TO GET THIS options in terms of extra stuff from the factory?

thanks.

john

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post

If we order from Ford, directly… are we tied to *exactly* what the Ford BUILD&PRICE website offers?

john
Your best bet overall is to seek a knowledgeable and willing to work with you salesman at a dealership----one who knows their do-do about which options are available, which can or cannot be ordered together. The problem I see with an on line order is yes you're stuck with what's offered, the price is the price etc etc etc.

There's more to spec'ing a vehicle than just picking from a list of options the factory wants you to have rather than what you want. How you'll use it could have a huge impact on the final build.

Here's a link to user Frantz's profile page on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=744208 Everything he's posted seems to be very motivated to promoting the Transit's---couldn't hurt to reach out to him. Check that page under Social Profiles tab---plenty of direct contact info there. (Let him know he was suggested by JWA from both FTE and SMB. It won't get you anything but does inform him how you found him. )

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote