Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #1

Ford bumper isolator w/an Aluminess front

Hi -

I have a question for the E- series folks running a front Aluminess bumper.

Did you use the Ford bumper Insolators?

The local Ford dealership gave me these as part#s -

RH 710C 882A, LH 710C 883A suppose to be the rubber waffle type expanded material.

This all started when local Ford said I needed these (found cheaper here)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm almost where I wanted to be when posting pics...

Just about have the wiring done for the led's got the rear on one some other things... This reminds me of J.E.E.P = just empty every pocket

Ha ha funny thing is I'm about 8 months behind schedule

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #2

Aluminess Bumper mounts right to the frame horns, no isolators.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Aluminess Bumper mounts right to the frame horns, no isolators.
What I don't follow is that it looks like to me in a strike to the bumper at high speed hit would damage the I Beam front end

Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
What I don't follow is that it looks like to me in a strike to the bumper at high speed hit would damage the I Beam front end
That's not the I beams......the convoluted holes in the front frame are the crush zone to absorb the impact energy of a crash...they are designed to be damaged.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
That's not the I beams......the convoluted holes in the front frame are the crush zone to absorb the impact energy of a crash...they are designed to be damaged.
Is this section repairable? weld on? bolt on?

Are you guys running these: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg

Old 12-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

These two engineering concepts boggle my mind in this application:

1. A love tap Al bumper bolted to Steel w/o any dampening equates to a dent or a bend - deflection of some sort some where.

2. Aluminum bolted to steel w/a a gritty interface spells electrolysis ... oxidation via galvanic action... Are end users at least installing rubber gaskets where they mount the bumper?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
I don't think there is anything you could place between the frame and bumper that would reduce the damage from a high speed crash. Something is going to give, bend, crush, get destroyed. The wrinkles in the front of the frame are designed to reduce / absorb some of the forces before they get to the passengers. Unfortunately, many 4wd conversions weld or bolt leaf spring hangers to the front of the frame, pretty much eliminating the crush zone. Isolaters may reduce galvanic corrosion between aluminum and steel, but unless the bolts are isolated too (perhaps through plastic bushings and washers) there is still a conductive path that would allow corrosion to take place, but I have never heard of any issues.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

We just pulled off our front and rear Aluminess bumpers in the last couple of weeks after a couple of years of them being mounted. This period covered six week each plus ski trips around the western US the last two seasons with road crap, etc. and four weeks in Baja, plus the van living outside in San Francisco.

There was no electrolysis present anywhere. If you hit something hard enough, the first dent and deflection will be the bumper. If the hit is enough that frame has damage, I would think there would be major body damage elsewhere.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

So nobody runs these?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

I'm headed into the de-icer, sand/grit/gravel laiden zone of the Powder Rogers Pass, BC among others possibly the Rogers Pass in MT. also.. at the end of winter drive to Valdez SC Ak etc