Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #21

Re: Ford Transit details

I think my Sprinter is a 5 cylinder.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon
Five cylinder diesels are common in Europe. I used to put them in VW Vanagon Syncros and my 83 Mercedes 300TDT had one too. Plus the older Sprinters also have a 5 cyl.

Z
Well I stand corrected as I forgot that the Sprinter DID have the 5-cylinder diesel before the V6 replaced it. I guess I am a huge Ford fan that the cylinder count of inline-5 in the US just sounded odd to me rather than realize that other companies have used it before. As well as Ford having used their engine for years in vehicles such as the European Rangers!! lol
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Ford Transit details

I have a little experience with the 6.0--I've had pretty much all the problems on my 2006--so I was a bit stunned to see they're sticking with the name with so much bad press out there. Just Google "Power Stroke Diesel" and see what comes up. Don't forget the" diesel" part, as some images of, shall we say, an exotic nature may come up. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Five cylinder diesels are common in Europe. I used to put them in VW Vanagon Syncros and my 83 Mercedes 300TDT had one too. Plus the older Sprinters also have a 5 cyl.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #24

I know. The older 6.0 is commonly referred to as powerjoke.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratworst
I know. The older 6.0 is commonly referred to as powerjoke.
Older? I'm scared every time I get off road. As I was sluggin through the Mojave wash the other day all I was thinking is if this SOB breaks down.....
Luckily I haven't had problems for a few years now engine wise but that can change at any time, so I'm with Zeta, calling it a powerstroke might be a curse.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

NPR article on Ford pickups & concept vehicle: http://www.npr.org/2013/03/05/173540...ck-makers-race. Didn't hear the details--just caught the end of the story and I'm headed out the door so I don't have time to listen to this link but I heard comments about the pickup truck's popularity and a concept vehicle. May be irrelevant to the Transit issue but I thought folks would be interested. May be a false alarm on my part.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #27

Ford released lots of info and pictures of the Transit Chassis-Cab yesterday and AutoBlog published it today! Happy reading.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/08/2014 ... -versions/
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #28

Great news guys! Before I say what it is, I'll explain how I got the info.

I have Facebook and frequent the Sportsmobile page. I'm not sure if it's the SMB West, Texas, or North. They had posted a few pictures of someone's custom SMB Econoline entitled "Blackmobile". There was a debate on advantages of the Econoline diesel or V10 engine until one guy asked about the Transit and whether or not it would have diesel. I explained to him about the 3.2L I5 that will be offered. I then asked if SMB planned to offer their Transit package and proceeded to list all all the advantages the Transit has over the Sprinter. Sportsmobile's answer to my post? I can only paraphrase off the top of my head now but it's something like, "We are definitely going to do Sportsmobile Transit!"

So it's official, they're planning on offering packages for the Transit!!! I didn't want to keep asking lots of questions so we can only assume the rest. Such as when would it start to be offered, features, etc. I did ask if I could announce on this forum and they said that I could. Great news for me and some of you that wanted SMB to do the Transit!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #29

Bad news for those of you who were looking forward to the new Ford Transit. I just found out that Ford has decided to postpone the production start of the Transit until Summer 2014 for Model Year 2015. This was due to supplier issues and the fact that the mini Transit Connect was coming out soon and didn't want to conflict the sales of two vans. Not sure if this site is usually reliable but announced the news apparently a month ago without much mainstream coverage, such as Car & Driver, Truck Trend, etc. The Econoline, as previously reported, has already been extended to 2015. My personal guess is that it may even be extended to 2016 if necessary to allow more seamless transition.

Since we already know that SMB has plans to do conversions for it, I guess they can concentrate on the Econoline Cutaway project!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/0 ... ntil-2015/
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #30

Just looked at the Ford site and it now says summer of 2014 also. I was waffling between getting another of the old body styles or moving to the Transit with a Quigley conversion. Now I can procrastinate even longer.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/

or

posting.php?mode=smilies&f=5#
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote