Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Free Insulation Recommendation-Widely available Everywhere-mold resistant, light &

FREE INSULATION TIP!

I have a FREE Abundant insulation materials tip for the insulation I used entirely in my van to share:

The pillow top sofas and chairs, discarded by the dumpsters behind my local thrift shop after hours.
I used a box knife to easily cut open and remove it's free to take loose polyfill and polyfill/dacron wrap battings to insulate my ENTIRE van and doors and Safely as it's made from recycled plastic 2 liter bottles and put in most all of our pillows and sofas and chairs we buy.
Totally safe and does not absorb moisture and it not scratchy or a lung irritant like fiberglass.
Less than 2 sofa backs and such did my Entire Van and doors. I did make 2 trips because I underestimated how much my van cavities would hold.

There are sofas by the dumpsters at apartment complexes dumpsters as well.
It is fairly protected by the fabric and like new inside.

Plus save our planet by reusing instead of discarding whenever it's practical.

You can also use the foam of the sofa cushions to make van bench seats if you like, or to boost factory seats by adding more foam, a sheet under the foam core(although I like to use used carpet foam pad for boosting old seats up like new again.
The foam cuts into the size you want, with a sawing action of a loose hack saw blade in your hand.

it worked well for me and now my doors close with a very nice solid quiet meat locker like thud.
I used the batting for the ceiling between the members above the headliner I am recovering.
I don't know what the R value is but it may be similar to nasty fiberglass would give.
For someone who isn't insulating for extreme weather and on a budget like me, this might be the sweet spot.
I know it's much more insulated now and my van has full windows so it doesn't seem practical to spend money on new insulation when do much is lost to the windows even when covered.

Take care!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9500-2.jpg  

jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That's a fascinating and creative re-use of discarded materials---kudos for thinking of the planet.

The only downside that comes to mind would be are any of those discarded items due bedbugs or other tiny livestock? It's a risk I'd not want but maybe talking with trusted friends and relatives about having such things headed for the dumpster might be "safer">

Either way nice idea and thanks for sharing!

JWA
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Garage
I'm confused. How did you get the loose sofa stuffing to stay in the van cavities? Wouldn't it all just settle down/bounce out since it's loose and not woven together?
Old 11-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
I'm confused. How did you get the loose sofa stuffing to stay in the van cavities? Wouldn't it all just settle down/bounce out since it's loose and not woven together?
Much like the fabric or upholstery holding the fill together when part of furniture its contained inside the door cavity. Being its chunks or blocks of foam and mostly protected from the environment its not likely to settle or degrade. Again much like furniture.

Jim's method has the added advantage the fill won't be sat up or otherwise affected as you'd expect in its first use.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote