Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #11

Garage
Doesn't Scott (Redoval) offer advanced/modern HID/LED projector headlight updates for *both* the older 1992-2007 front ends AND the newer 2008-2014 front ends?

Seems like the "headlight quality" issue can be solved without changing to an all-new front clip.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Doesn't Scott (Redoval) offer advanced/modern HID/LED projector headlight updates for *both* the older 1992-2007 front ends AND the newer 2008-2014 front ends?

Seems like the "headlight quality" issue can be solved without changing to an all-new front clip.
He does indeed, to wit: vantageoptics
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

I would be very interested to see what actual difference in temps the hood scoop makes.

It is a drop scoop design. It will help with allowing heat to escape when stopped but will likely not do anything while moving, and may actually be detrimental while moving by changing the air pressure ahead of and behind the radiator.

It would be interesting if they incorporated extraction vents into the fenders. With the stock fenders off, larger openings could be cut into the inner fenders and allow air to be extracted via the fender vents.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'll say this just once and NOT trying to dash Richard's enthusiasm about all this, my experience being only with gasoline engines in 2wd configuration....

I myself have not yet seen any large issues of underhood engine heat problems with the E-Series in quite a long time, if ever. This of course assumes stock components are in top working order; coolant level, radiator flow, water pump working properly and the fan clutch too.

1der's ideas pretty much echo my own regarding properly directed ambient air directed through the front opening. Fender vents might be useful but again assuming there's a real problem with all this.

Richard please don't let us bash your ideas to bits----we're most speaking from a strictly practical aspect. Besides there are too many other way cool tools we could by the money "saved" from bypassing your mod [Iunless[/I] its of the must have style improvement nature.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I would be very interested to see what actual difference in temps the hood scoop makes.

It is a drop scoop design. It will help with allowing heat to escape when stopped but will likely not do anything while moving, and may actually be detrimental while moving by changing the air pressure ahead of and behind the radiator.

Hey Ray, interesting point/observation.
The way that scoop is designed/oriented, it looks like it would possibly work great if intended as a *cold air intake* for the engine's induction system (if it were plumbed under the hood to feed cold air to the throttle body).

As you're noting ---
---- as an extractor vent for under-hood hot air however....it does appear that it's aimed the wrong way. As in....it looks like when you are driving, and air is rushing towards that opening....that air would race IN that hood vent area and then effectively over-pressurize the under-hood area, allowing **less cold air to flow in through the radiator.**

To be effective as an aid in increasing the amount of cooling airflow, you'd probably want that vent to face **rearward** ....to take advantage of the over-the-hood airflow's **possible** ability to assist in drawing out/scavenging/pulling-through the hot air that had already passed through the radiator.

Example:

Even this isn't certain without studying the actual airflow over one of these hoods though...at a certain point near the cowl, a high-pressure zone develops that begins to force air back under the hood. (That's how a Chevelle's cowl-induction hood works....)

Positive/negative aerodynamic pressure diagram:

I'm curious how far forward that positive pressure zone extends on these brick-like vans (especially with their upright windshield angles.) it seems that one could easily (accidentally!) place an "extraction" vent location square into an area where outside pressure is actually neutral or even positive.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I'll say this just once and NOT trying to dash Richard's enthusiasm about all this, my experience being only with gasoline engines in 2wd configuration....

I myself have not yet seen any large issues of underhood engine heat problems with the E-Series in quite a long time, if ever. This of course assumes stock components are in top working order; coolant level, radiator flow, water pump working properly and the fan clutch too.

1der's ideas pretty much echo my own regarding properly directed ambient air directed through the front opening. Fender vents might be useful but again assuming there's a real problem with all this.

Richard please don't let us bash your ideas to bits----we're most speaking from a strictly practical aspect. Besides there are too many other way cool tools we could by the money "saved" from bypassing your mod [Iunless[/I] its of the must have style improvement nature.
Hi JWA : Oh Nooo!!! I REALLY appreciate each and everyone of ya that chimed in. I really do ! From YOU,Mike and Ray. How else would a newbie learned anything without ya'll views and perspectives. Cheers to all ! Let's hear some more views if we could. I'am learning.
RLwhaler7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #17

Mike - boywonder and I did a test with air pressure sensors taped above and below the hood in various places on my 2002 E350.

Over the stock hood readings and under the hood readings were equal pressure at speed. So, no benefit at extraction or introducing cold air into the engine compartment. The stock intake draws cold air from the highest pressure cool stable air area in front and above the radiator. I see little benefit of drawing air from above the hood. One of the other aspects that became very apparent is how far back the radiator actually is located relative to the hood. It is about half way back!

I still think the side extractors ala the Pontiac Trans Am would be the best way of relieving hot under hood air because the underhood is probably higher pressure than the faster (low pressure) air flow along the sides of the van. But this would likely require opening up air passages on the inner side fender walls. It may also mess with the air flows headed down and under the van which may create hot spots around the back of the engine adjacent to the engine cover. That being said, I have thought the Ford F-350 side fender faux vents would be nice looking except there does not appear to be enough fender surface. Change F to E !!
Name:  718D9069-29DC-42EE-9A79-A1C2A950FB76.jpeg
Views: 241
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #18

do it!!

I think some of us make things more complicated than what they are. Do it for the looks if that's what u are after. It's a fun project. The latch is a pain and swapping the entire top support is not necessarily the easiest/best option.
WillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #19

Bumping this on the airflow topic...is it just my eyes or is the 08+ grill have a larger cross section? I'm making hp + tq significantly north of what comes stock in these, and since I have other body work I'm doing - this would be an easy addition.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #20

b. rock I think one of the biggest benefits to the 08+ front end is being able to add an air to air intercooler for your diesel. The 08 nose's stick out about 7" more than a pre 08.

I have a complete 08+ front clip that I'm going to put on my 02 7.3. Just waiting for some other under hood parts so I can do it all at once
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote