Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Front Clip Swap

Members, I'am currently running a 2003 E-350 7.3 Long Body.

I want to swap the whole front clip from a 2003 to a 2008-2015 .

What are some of the details specific to look for when buying these parts( Hood, 2 side panels,Front bumpers, front headlights...ect..)

These parts are used in AA Grade. Not new.

Do I need a special Kit to installed them?

Thank you in advanced.

Richard

RLwhaler7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Garage
Three things for ya:

1) Check out WeldTec's new "front end conversion kit" --- looks like they bundle everything together into one kit. The hood and fenders are fiberglass, and I think you need to go source your own bumper and lights though.

Ford E-Series Fiberglass Conversion
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/f...ss-conversion/

2) If you're set on using all OEM Ford stuff, then here's a thread from the SMB Forum where a member detailed the whole process of converting from a 1993-2007 van front to the late model 2008-2012 front end.

Late Model Front End Conversion
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...sion-8926.html

3) A more recent (and brief) SMB Forum thread about making such a conversion is here, with a link to an Expedition Portal thread where a guy made the conversion on a Ford-based Chinook.

2008+ Frontend/Nose conversion?
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-19429.html

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Three things for ya:

1) Check out WeldTec's new "front end conversion kit" --- looks like they bundle everything together into one kit. The hood and fenders are fiberglass, and I think you need to go source your own bumper and lights though.

Ford E-Series Fiberglass Conversion
https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/f...ss-conversion/

2) If you're set on using all OEM Ford stuff, then here's a thread from the SMB Forum where a member detailed the whole process of converting from a 1993-2007 van front to the late model 2008-2012 front end.

Late Model Front End Conversion
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...sion-8926.html

3) A more recent (and brief) SMB Forum thread about making such a conversion is here, with a link to an Expedition Portal thread where a guy made the conversion on a Ford-based Chinook.

2008+ Frontend/Nose conversion?
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-19429.html

Thank you very much !
Old 12-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #4

Garage
I can support the headlight upgrades you will need as well....if the budget permits!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I can support the headlight upgrades you will need as well....if the budget permits!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Scott, Vantage Optics is on my list. Thanks !
Old 12-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLwhaler7.3 View Post
Members, I'am currently running a 2003 E-350 7.3 Long Body.

I want to swap the whole front clip from a 2003 to a 2008-2015 .

Richard
Richard what benefit do you hope to realize with this swap? It's been discussed often enough and I've seen it done (on forums) with various reasons why. What are your's if I can ask?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

Hardest part is the hood latch. Simplify it by getting the newer radiator support with the latch
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Richard what benefit do you hope to realize with this swap? It's been discussed often enough and I've seen it done (on forums) with various reasons why. What are your's if I can ask?
That's a great question, Hopefully..I can give you an equally a great answer. I think.

1) Changing out lights (For much better driving)
2) My hood would most likely come from Jeremy at Weldtech. His hood has a hood scoop for air. Cooling the engine a bit.
3) Updated looks.

JWA: That's just my .01...Please, feel free to convince me that I don't need this!

Best,

Richard
Old 12-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Hardest part is the hood latch. Simplify it by getting the newer radiator support with the latch

Hogasm : Thank you. Really needed to know that.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLwhaler7.3 View Post
JWA: That's just my .01...Please, feel free to convince me that I don't need this!

Richard
Richard those are great answers, I can't really argue against them. I do feel a bit contradictory to my own approach to all things van related though, just this morning completed installing Hellwig front and rear sway bars designed for an E450 chassis on my new-to-me 2005 E350 EB/raised roof van. It will find used as a self-powered tool box for my work in the glass business. I'm not against what some might call unneeded or unnecessary expense/labor if it serves a need or want, even if it suits only me.

My only real "objection" is the amount of work and expense this sort of swap entails. To my mind Scott's headlights are an easy mod, fair priced for what he delivers. They're also usually a direct swap into your existing van, a huge plus in my book. A hood scoop might be incorporated into your existing hood for cheap if cooling is problematic now or a concern you have.

Headlights for the E-Series are a weak point as with every other sealed beam non-projector vehicle. I've "lucked out" with Sylvania Silver Star sealed beams BUT I don't do any bit of off-road driving. From my experience (none with Ford's newer headlight housings in the closing years) factory offerings for such items tend to be easily and often eclipsed by aftermarket offerings.

Because I'd hate to incur the expense and hassle of swapping sheet metal etc unless it was accompanied an equal increase in performance (in whatever aspect) this isn't something I'd do. I won't argue against the style aspect as its your van, my choices and reasons thereof not always in line with others on most any front. That's just me, please don't be swayed one way or another by my opinions.

After all this is YOUR van and you'll have to live with it---I'm happy with an "outdated" plain-jane looking van that's strictly utilitarian in a stealthy way.

Just my bits, thinking out loud but please by all means proceed as you see fit.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote