Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
To keep things as simple (and as safe) as possible, I've described how to sleuth this out with the van in "Park" and key out of the ignition.
Yup, I missed that part, and your correct. I've always checked when on a rack with all wheels off the ground (in neutral) so I can spin the drive shaft to grease the U-joints.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #12

As mentioned earlier, have you crawled underneath and looked at rear axle tag bolted to the rear diff cover, or stamped on the axle tube?
My 95 had lim slip and a tag, and most SMBs from Fresno are lim slip so they could be 4wd converted...See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Ford rear axle and part numbers21.gif  
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Garage
I don't like it. All five tires should be the same.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #14

The rear tires need to be close to the same diameter. Until I had my custom rear bumper/tire carrier built, if I got a flat in the rear I would jack up one side of the van, move the front tire to the rear, then put the much smaller spare on the front until I was able to replace the blown tire.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #15

Garage
I buy 5 at a time and rotate the spare in on whatever corner has worn the most, which is typically the drivers side front. That way my spare isn’t a neglected tire from 1970 and the odds of it getting me to a repair shop are good. I know when I bolt it up it won’t act weird due to non matching tread patterns and it will always be close enough to the same diameter as not to mess up a diff.

Interestingly enough, I just bought a crv and when I was swapping out tires the spare rim looked as if it had never been removed from the tailgate. Took cover off of it and tire still had all the little nipples. Thought it was in great shape until I looked at the part of the tire that had been downward since 2000. The cover actually held enough moisture when it got wet to totally dry rot that part of the tire. That and it was almost 20 years old. Never knew moisture could do that to a tire. No more spare tire covers for me. I always thought dirt is what sucked the moisture out of rubber...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

With an open differential, no locker, no 'limited slip differential' (LSD), you don't get very many flats so the 245 is 'emergency use', if you want to save a couple bucks you can just keep the 245. But you'll have to first confirm that you have an open, or LSD differential (outlined above).

Running two different diameters tires in the rear until you can get to a tire store to repair the flat one, won't hurt the moving parts within an 'open differential'. Heck, with the reserve strength of a Dana 60 or Sterling 10.25, it's not worth worrying about. The difference in side gear and differential carrier wear (between same size, and different size rear tires) is negligible, as these parts smoothly slide and move with every curve, by design. You never notice the diff ;-) Two different size rear tires on an open diff behaves like you are driving through along slow cure, while you are going in a straight line. The oil temp in the diff might go up slightly, but you'll never feel it in the drive train.

Doing that with a factory Limited Slip Diff (with clutch plates) is a completely different story, as that will prematurely wear the differential's clutch plates. It won't leave you stranded, but it will turn it into an open differential until you repair it. The same is true if you have an aftermarket loc-rite locker, also referred to as a 'lunch-box locker' (like I do). Two different size rear tires makes the locker wind up, then release (ratchet or tooth skipping noise), constantly, as you are driving in a straight line. It's kinda hard on the $300 locker unit. But again, you can do it in a pinch, to get you to a tire store.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #17

On my 2002 a 265/75 16 tire would not fit in the under body spare tire location with the trailer hitch installed.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote