Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

Re: Hard time filling up at gas station

Is this a stock tank or ?....?....?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

As far as I know its a stock tank. My 2005 is a stock chateau passenger van that I use for daily driving and as a utility vehicle for my side business. I bought it used so I don't know for sure, but I imagine its a stock tank.

Eric, oddly enough, my 95 SMB is much easier to fill up. It will only shut off 1 or 2 times during a fill up.

If the gas station Im at has the nozzle with the accordion type nozzle, I can pull that back and fill up easier. If its the newer style that has just the vent cup thing at the base of the handle, it makes life more difficult to fill up since theres nothing I can do to let the tank vent.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #13

The only issues I've heard of causing fueling problems in the V10 are a plugged vent line, or a pinched fill neck (usually a "universal" replacement hose).
Old 05-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
On my 2005 Chateau, I have a hard time with pretty much every gas pump. They always click off as if the tank is full, but it happens every couple seconds. I usually hold it upside down to be able to get full flow out of the handle. Is there something I can do to help with this?
Hey mikracer!
Long time no see.
I am having the same issue now with my 2005, and it is getting worse. It used to happen only at Costco, now everywhere.

Did you ever find a fix? I have been looking online and found a few things mostly cannister related. What did you do? BTW, We are in SLO often as we hunt at Fort Hunter Liggett just north of Paso Robles. Perhaps we can have lunch at Firestone Grill once things open back up.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #15

I pulled this off another thread, maybe it will help.

deserteagle56

Just a thought. A few years ago I was having trouble fueling my van - the gas nozzle kept popping off due to back pressure. Turns out the vent for that charcoal canister was totally plugged with dirt. I drive mainly dirt roads and the location of that vent catches all of it. To prevent any more dirt accumulating in the vent I connected a long length of plastic tubing to the vent and ran it all the way up under the hood, by the headlight, where it does not pick up all the dust kicked up by the tires. No more problems. So since you are accessing that canister, now might be a good time to add that vent line.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I pulled this off another thread, maybe it will help.

deserteagle56

Just a thought. A few years ago I was having trouble fueling my van - the gas nozzle kept popping off due to back pressure. Turns out the vent for that charcoal canister was totally plugged with dirt. I drive mainly dirt roads and the location of that vent catches all of it. To prevent any more dirt accumulating in the vent I connected a long length of plastic tubing to the vent and ran it all the way up under the hood, by the headlight, where it does not pick up all the dust kicked up by the tires. No more problems. So since you are accessing that canister, now might be a good time to add that vent line.
I asked the question over there this morning and saw the same post.
The terminus of the vent line on my SMB is near the spare tire crank down and has no type of filter on it. Just a pain open hose. It is pretty dirty up there. I could disconnect the hose and send some air down it away from the canister and see if it is clogged. There are so many hoses and what looks like at least one solenoid. It looks old enough that it could fall apart if I got too aggressive with it.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #17

I have this same issue and was wondering where the vent line is...

..please let us know how you make out....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #18

I've been working on this issue on my 05 V 10, lately. I went thru and check the functioning of the entire tank vent system. I checked both the canister vent valve and purge control valve. Both were OK, and all lines were clear and canister had good air flow. I unhooked vent line from tank to canister inlet and drove to gas station. Tank would take gas at highest rate and never shut off til full. A mechanic said purge control might not be turning on when it should, to remove fumes from canister. I think maybe the canister is restricted enough to not vent fast enough to fill tank easily. Glad I'm not the only one
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #19

Super annoying when you're trying to wash the windows...
TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #20

anyone having this issue with a 46 gal gasoline Transfer Flow circa 2004?
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote