Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Heat Loss Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Harbor Freight sells a little IR themometer gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contac ... -8905.html

I use it to measure temps of wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. to find problems before they are problems. I never thought to use it to check heat loss of the van.

Mike
I have one also. Different make but same thing. I think it's great. My neighbor told me about it and said it is an inexpensive way to find heat loss. Also works for checking the water temperature when brewing beer (added bonus ). I used it first to see how much heat was leaving my house before and after I replaced a door. It works.
Cheers
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Yes, we talked about that but he doesn't think it will be an issue. Will replace the bungies as needed. Also talked about adding a window with the zippered shade in the back, weird that SMB doesn't put one in there, any reason not to? Cost? I will also be adding zippers to the screens like SMB does, I like the option to open them up to take photos from the penthouse or just have an unobstructed view.
They do now, don't they? I thought the newer pop tops had a rear window. I may be wrong. Anyway, no complaints here about Derek's canvas. It's great, zippers work great, rear windows zips fully open for emergency getaways or when she kicks you out in the middle of the night, etc.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

I'm curious to see how much Derek wants to replace the canvas, especially with a 6th window. Are the windows and screens zipouts? All or just some of them?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Anyone have one of those house insulation inspection IR cameras handy?
Thermal Imaging Camera - TIC

Ask a firefighter. Used to see fires inside walls and bodies through the smoke. About $10,000 for a good one...

But does great at showing the hotspots and the cold ones. My mechanic has a small/cheaper version to look for leaks (exhaust, coolant, etc.). Would work great for confirming a well done insulation job.

I believe his was a DeWalt and it used the same batteries as his cordless tools.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #15

Want some pop-top insulation? I bought a set of 5-layer snap-in thermal blankets from Fanchers Upholstery http://fanchers.com/267/Vanagon%20Inter ... hermal.htm
for the Westy we keep in S Oregon cause it did not have a heater and installed them with the snaps provided. They work great! The company says they compare to R=8 insulation - which is about 8 times better than auto glass. The snap-in panels sized for the VW Westy are not very heavy and roll up in a bag the size of a large sleeping bag. The owner said he would fab some for my Sprinter Penthouse sprinter if I sent him a pattern. He also makes velcro attached thermal blankets for windows.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetrux

Ask a firefighter. Used to see fires inside walls and bodies through the smoke. About $10,000 for a good one...

But does great at showing the hotspots and the cold ones. My mechanic has a small/cheaper version to look for leaks (exhaust, coolant, etc.). Would work great for confirming a well done insulation job.

I believe his was a DeWalt and it used the same batteries as his cordless tools.
DeWalt does show one offered----a very good price by far compared with a more professional version: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dct416s1.aspx

The infra red laser temp guns are a great alternative too---not quite as sexy-cool but would still give good data!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #17

The unit I used was bottom of the line. About $17 on sale at NewEgg.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #18

We use our two Therm o rest basecamp pads (25x72x2) that we use for seating. We unfold them and use them along the sides of the penthouse in cold weather.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm curious to see how much Derek wants to replace the canvas, especially with a 6th window. Are the windows and screens zipouts? All or just some of them?

Mike
If it's done like his other poptops, it will be all sides and front have zippered solid window canvas and zip out clear plastic, screen is fixed, except the rear which has the same PLUS a zipout screen for emergency bail outs. I bet if he's gonna replace a SMB one though it will be as custom as you want it.

I really want to see this done on a SMB, his canvas is pretty slick.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Heat Loss Measurements

Quote:

Mike
I just went back up there today to drop off my trailer, the tongue support rail sheered almost in half We are having to substantially beef it up especially to be able to carry that 30 gal water tank, at least it happened now instead of the middle of the yukon....
In case you're wondering, no Derek didn't build the trailer, but he's been great to work with on several other projects with more to come, and I have confidence that he will be able to sort it out and make it better and stronger so we don't run into a failure in the future, plus he's going to plumb in the water tank and hot water system. Also, he's doing this full time and the shop is closer than the builder.

He will be writing me up a quote on the canvas in the next week or so, so I'll have to let you know pricing. As far as the windows and screens, they are not full removable zip outs, if that's what you meant, they are just like SMB windows but have the added insulated zippered fabric flap, making the windows fully sealed and insulated, really nice. Plus when its all zipped up, its nice and dark in there, no more waking up with first light, or being bothered by the lights when a stop at wally world is needed after a long jaunt! I can specify which of the windows I want to feature zippered screens, all or just the back one, I'm thinking I might want them all zipped, I like to be able to open them up sometimes to have the view or take pictures.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote