Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #31

Re: Heat Loss Measurements

I just went looking to see if I could find Thinsulate and did. I get all my outdoor cloth, hardware, and the like from Seattle Fabrics. While I was there, I noticed I had forgotten all about another winner in the world of great but thin insulation: Primaloft. It's better than Thinsulate (and about a generation in hi-tech outdoor gear newer) but also more expensive per yard.

Don't take a long time to look at their site. If you do, go hide your wallet and credit cards first. Lotsa neat stuff we can use in the vans.

JC

Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #32

Similar to Reflectix but with a foam core check Low-E.
I used it and find it better.

My 2 cent...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #33
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

JCTex has anyone here or elsewhere used the Thinsulate or Primaloft in a fixed application like adhering it to the inside of aa van's outer bare walls?

Yes both are probably expensive but since it comes in a 60" width it will cover more per purchased yard than we might think. Calculating I'd need/want 20' that equates to about $340 which isn't bad for a one time expenditure IF it works well.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #34

I have used 3M's Thinsulate Acoustics (sourced from Sounddeadenershowdown) in the headliner/roof above the driver and passenger seats. Works well for both acoustic and thermal insulation. There was a noticeable difference in heat transfer in the before and after. The headliner would get warm to the touch on a hot day before the thinsulate, and now remains the same temp as the interior of the van. I secured with a little hot glue to hold it in place. I would use it again in the van walls if I were going to tear into them.

I also used the thinsulate in the doors and doghouse for sound insulation.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #35

@ JWA: Donno. In my too-long post, I didn't make clear that the Thinsulate will be part of a sandwich, maybe backed with Warm Company multi-layer AND Reflectix, or the like, or w/o the Reflectix if the Warm stuff has an adequate reflective sheet.

I'll put all this in a flat bag made of something that won't catch dust like cloth, keeps the place non-dreary, washes or cleans up well, and maybe breathes a little.. Donno what that is yet, but I'm looking for a HQ vinyl something that's soft. Will probably get advice from Seattle Fabrics. They sell window shading to boaters all day.

Once the bars are made, I'll sew Velcro around the edges. I plan to use self-sticking corresponding Velcro on the headliner where the wall meets it, and somewhere on a like place below. ILO Velcro, I could use flexible magnets sewn in, but that'd make them hard to fold. I may end up putting vertical Velcro on the walls to match that on the panels, but unless I take my top and tent off, I doubt I'll do that. I just don't think the adhesive Velcro,will,stick,to vinyl walls in extreme,heat and bending repeatedly. My goal is to attach during setup Velcro'd panels all around from window edge to window edge. I hope each window has its own panel.

If I don't make the sacks too thick, it's possible they may fold well enough to lower the top with them still in place.

JC
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #36

@ JWA: Sorry, Oltimers moment. To answer what you actually asked, I know of none; but I may be doing that myself, hopefully, by late February. If all goes well, I'll have my van body-fixing done enough to start on the insulation system.

I'm not sure in what order to put the layers. Next to the stuff I'm spraying on the van walls and behind the inner metal panels where I can reach, and on the roof and floor, I think I'll put 1/2" of something dense (think Dynomat or work out pads or the like). This will be flexible and help me begin to level the surface some. I want to put something reflective; so, that'll go next helping level the surface more. Since ALL reflective material works best with a layer of air on the living side, I wonder if the Thinsulate could go next and let its fuzziness provide that.

This will be followed by Polyisocyanurate foam board w an aluminum side next to the interior paneling. I told myself to be willing to dedicate up to 2 1/2" per wall to get this thing insulated, mostly from blazing heat. Researching what to put in that 2 1/2" and in what order has been difficult.

JC
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #37

Just saw an adapter for a new FLIR thermal camera that attaches to the Iphone.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Well stick that thing on your Octocopter and get some IR footage all around your SMB and penthouse SMBs. Would be intersting to see a top-down IR image of the various tops.

Herb
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #39

I like that idea!

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Here's one I just came across. Very rudimentary as far as resolution, but I'm not gong to spend $2000 for a thermal imager so this one is appealing to my inner-geek. The development was part of a Kickstarter campaign. Unfortunately, looks like the preassembled ones and the kits are sold out right now, but both are under $200.

http://www.rhworkshop.com/

Herb