Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #21

Re: Heavy duty alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I noticed this sticker on the front of my engine the other day. Has anyone installed dual alternators on their 6.0? Would provide redundancy and extra charging capabilities.
I read somewhere that you need to convert your brakes from servo to hydroboost to make room, but looking at that diagram it doesn't look like the 2nd alternator goes anywhere close to the brake system, so not sure that's true. Most ambulances have dual alternators, might be worth finding one.

BTW, the alternator I just put in was labeled as "2nd Alternator", but it had the same mounting points as my single one and was rated at 25amps more, casing was slightly larger, but it fit fine.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

I asked on my 06 build but was told the Starcool took up too much room...not sure if that's true but I'm happy with my single HD system

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #23

Anyone who has placed an aftermarket alternator or a second alternator (like the ambulance), did you have to re-flash the computer such that the dash does not get a check engine light or effect the computer (thinking something is wrong when it is fine)?

What alternator did you use? http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/tad.html

I guess the TAD alternators for diesel motors would be more appropriate...not sure if it would fit the E series. They make a 275A.

I would enjoy a faster charge since my HOA does not approve of electrical plugs to cars. Every 6 months they come up with another restriction. The most recent was weight. GVWR. I gave the the curb weight on my title that was under their specific limitation. They would only accept GVWR. So I gave them all the other GVWR rated vehicles that fall outside their limits...

Ford F series trucks, Hummer, BMW x5. Their lawyers backed off. Then sent a statement saying they are no longer going to address my "van issue" but gave the names of 3 lawyers and suggested that me and my neighbors sue each other directly.

My solar panels do not charge in the winter here in Oregon. Any suggestions with stealth plug-in to house batteries?

Appreciate the insight.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

No codes no problems with mine. Talk to Adam Nation at Nations and have him look up the alternator I had them build under my name Dave Boyer. The picture I posted above was sent to me from Nations. It didn't quite fit my 2006 6.0 but all I had to do was grind out a small spot out on the alternator case. Adam confirmed it wouldn't cause any problems. It's one of the best upgrades I've done to my van. It's wound great and has a killer bridge rectifier setup. Runs quiet and no radio noise.

For stealth charging other than solar, the only thing I can think of would be somehow hiding the cord. No electric cars in your neighborhood? Then there is the cost of one of these EFOY fuel cells There were several posts on this site about these things.
EFOY search

Good luck, I hate HOA's
[edit] BTW what do they say about water hoses? No water hoses attached to the van also? A cord just might run on the inside of a water hose to a decoy inlet on the van...just a thought

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #25

Dave,

Thank you for your input. I ended up going by my mechanic's recommendation and using a local company. This 270A alternator looks identical to the Ford except for the flywheel. They can manufacture the ideal footprint for your year/make van, so you do not require any mods.

The company, D.C. Power, is located in Portland, OR. (888)441-0144 EXT 202. Per my mechanic, "they will want to talk to Stan. Hes awesome, and knows his stuff. All He needs really is the numbers off the back of the old stock alternator. I did have to double check with him, so we exchanged pictures of it to make sure it was correct. No big deal. He will get anyone all set up." 0/1 guage wiring was used to rewire the + and - from the battery to alternator.

The unit was $695 or that was what I was charged for it.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote