Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserracer888 View Post
Great info man - thank you!
In your opinion, if I show up to a shop with the springs, shocks, steering stabilizer, wheels and tires - what would you think is a reasonable price for installation and alignment out the door?...would be cool to have a baseline idea before calling the local shop for pricing. You guys have been a huge help!
Should only be a couple hours of labor to install the springs and shocks. Just call your local tire shop that does alignments. They should be able to knock that out real quick and for less than taking it to a mechanic. Just make sure the tire shop you go to is reputable.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

@Chase,
the steering damper alone is useless without the right brackets. There are some options available. E.g. from ambulance vehicles, or E450s.

Clearly I would avoid the idea of spacers. Just go for the Springs.

But I would really think about replacing the shocks and using longer once since it is essential that the shocks match the "new" suspension travel.

As you, I read a lot of discussions regarding this subject. At the end I came to the Moog CC880S springs. Which are probably stronger than stock but not longer.
I wonder if there would be another alternative spring which gives also a 1,5" lift but not a stiffer ride. I found the TTC 2814 an alternative one. But never managed to get the spring rate for.

Interesting to know is your current load on the front axle. Mine has about 3500lbs.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #13

@martinli
I feel like this information: "But I would really think about replacing the shocks and using longer once since it is essential that the shocks match the "new" suspension travel.
As you, I read a lot of discussions regarding this subject. At the end I came to the Moog CC880S springs. Which are probably stronger than stock but not longer.
Is a bit contradictory and conflicts to what @carringb is saying here: "Correct. Those are the ones you want for that much lift (referring to the Moog CC880S) For a bone stock van with the 5.4L, it will feel stiffer. But at least it won't bottom out anymore off-road
"Stock length shocks will work with this spring. Any good monotube will be fine. I have KYB, but Bilstein, Fox etc are all good."

...I went from thinking I had this figured out to second guessing again
chaserracer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

[QUOTE=martinli;259652]@Chase,
the steering damper alone is useless without the right brackets. There are some options available. E.g. from ambulance vehicles, or E450s.
Thank you for pointing this out!! saved me $90 and some embarrassment
Old 09-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

If you go with a longer shock, and don't extend the bump-shop, you'll probably bottom out the shock. If you went with a 6" lift with corresponding bump-stop extensions, then you'd need longer shocks.

The sway bar will lift a tire on articulation before you hit full extension on the shock. Likewise, if you're doing some whoops or otherwise leave the ground, any shock with reasonable rebound damping won't hit full extension before you land. Just beware the limitations of your van. I sent it a little too hard one time, and cracked the rear diff carrier in half on landing. And I had the Dana 70 (I've since gone to a Dana 80).
Old 09-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
If you go with a longer shock, and don't extend the bump-shop, you'll probably bottom out the shock. If you went with a 6" lift with corresponding bump-stop extensions, then you'd need longer shocks.

The sway bar will lift a tire on articulation before you hit full extension on the shock. Likewise, if you're doing some whoops or otherwise leave the ground, any shock with reasonable rebound damping won't hit full extension before you land. Just beware the limitations of your van. I sent it a little too hard one time, and cracked the rear diff carrier in half on landing. And I had the Dana 70 (I've since gone to a Dana 80).
@caringb thank you for jumping back in here...(I need allllllll the help)
My original thought was that the stock spring size would/should have enough travel to accommodate an additional 2" of lift from the coils.
Please let me know if you think this fits the bill to accommodate the 265/70/17 tire/rim size:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Also, these pieces keep popping up in my searches for the springs, are they necessary for the new larger/heavier coils?
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K160062-...Z6S8305FB4ZV0T
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K160043-...E0HBJZBYBNMN9E

Thank you (everyone)
Old 09-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #17

I have 2-3" coil springs you can try! It would only be about an hour per side to try them.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #18
Orv

Garage
I'm far from an expert, but I would try it without the steering damper first and then install one if you feel it needs it. My experience is they're often more of a band-aid than a real fix and can cause problems of their own.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #19

yeah, those shocks are a good option.

You might not need new isolators. Just depends if the ones under your current springs fit without slop. It's kinda just trial an error on those. I wouldn't order them unless you find your existing ones won't work. I did not need to swap mine.

I do think steering dampers can be beneficial, but only after you setup everything to drive straight first. But FWIW I don't have one anymore. I did previously, but it seized, tearing the bracket out of the frame (aftermarket, not Ford). I decided the very slight improvement in steering feel wasn't worth the potential failure mode. Also depends on backspacing. If the tire center of pressure is inline with the ball joint, you shouldn't need one. But most folks like a lit backspacing, which causes some bump steer, and the stabilizer can mitigate that.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #20

For street driving that may be so but, Stabilizers are very useful on back roads & trails, I have never run a straight axle 4x4 vehicle without one so I do not know if not running one is crucial or not but I know when one goes bad I do not enjoy the loose steering feel!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote