Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #41

Garage
I looked into several local places for getting my van painted red a couple of months ago. If you want cheap, and don't care about the finished look that much, there are plenty of places around for that and a few thousand bucks. I checked out everyone's work on jobs they were doing and they looked like heck. I wanted the job to look factory, which means they have to take basically everything off to get at the nooks and crannies (like inside door sills and such). That equals lots of labor, which was the bulk of the cost. The rest is high quality paint. I found two places that would even take my job on, both custom paint/refurb places that mainly do sports cars. One quoted $11K and the other was $14K.

After I picked myself up off the floor, I decided some accents with vinyls and a little Raptor or Rhino liner would look terrific.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #42
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Wow, that's a very specific, unique recommendation. Where'd you come up with that one?

Herb
Saw a Jeep in town with it. Not quite like this but similar:
Attached Thumbnails
camo vehicle wrap.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #43

Garage
Found a good Baja Tan example with my top, I think I've narrowed it down to this or Avalanche grey like the new Ford Raptor (I may still do the FJ concrete gray) but I like how the avalanche is a little lighter or at least appears to be.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #44

...whatever color suits your fancy........

Before I found my van, I found a low mileage E250 that was white (can't do white) and I got a quote to paint it before I bought it. Paint job including door jambs, etc was around $5K.

That snow camo color scheme is pretty cool...that would be unique......do that with some flat paint if available for automotive......that would be an interesting DIY project.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #45

I've alway's loved the color of Twogone's rig. It could be one mentioned here already somewhere but worth a gander. Its in that slate blueish range.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #46

Garage
^^^ uhgreed!

I really like the steel blue too...everything looks so sharp when compared to white.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #47

Garage
So I have finally dropped my van off for paint. After weighing all the pro's and cons I am just repainting my peeling top silver and putting black vinyl over the middle design in the same pattern for now and using the money for an agile RIP kit. Im saving the color change for another time as it already looks better with the new wheels and tires I just got. Does anyone know what the purpose of the black trim piece around the gutter is? I peeled it off and there is a metal flange with a ton of screws under it. I think the top is attached by screwing the top down onto the van right? So is this black trim piece just cosmetic or does it serve a purpose such as keeping less water from building up in the rain gutter? The reason I ask is because the painter asked if I just wanted to remove it and fix all the holes so it looks more seamless. Not sure what to decide or even if it's necessary, I'm assuming there may be a reason since it came that way and they all seem to have it, I just don't know the reason? Please advise:

The trim piece I'm talking of is the thin black line between the roofline and high top in this pic
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #48

No idea, but I like your decision.. RIP way more important than new paint!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
So I have finally dropped my van off for paint. After weighing all the pro's and cons I am just repainting my peeling top silver and putting black vinyl over the middle design in the same pattern for now and using the money for an agile RIP kit.
So those teal/aqua stripes are paint? And not just vinyl appliques? I would think they are more likely something you could peel (or buff) off the from your van, using one of those 3M "Magic Stripe Eraser" wheels that can be attached to a high-speed drill or air-driven die grinder tool.

If that's actually paint --- wow, that van's clearly from a different era, I'm impressed......it seems anything with those kind of stripe graphics nowadays would be attached simply via vinyl decal method.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #50

My 98 SMB has painted stripes. Very nicely done, in fact. I hated them at first, but they have grown on me.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote