Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

High top cap

Hi all I am new to the forum and do not yet have a van.I am wanting a passenger van for me ,my wife and three sons for travelling purposes.I was wondering if anyone here had ever installed a hightop cap without cutting the roof out there by creating a roof storage area similar to a truck with a camper shell on the back.A door would have to be fabricated , but it seems like an ideal low fuss way to transport items like surfboards.

swampfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

Garage
Sounds like a cool idea. Maybe a boat hatch on the rear like a truck canopy?

I installed my hightop, but I cut most of my roof off...

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:42 AM   #3

swampfox - What is the driving need behind what you are considering?

At first thoughts it seems like lots of work with many potential pitfalls and limited utility vs alternative of roof rack cross bars and mounting a storage box to that.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 AM   #4

I am looking for a quick way to transport surfboards and fishing rods ...throw them in and roll with plenty of room inside for passengers and there bags. Dealing with a rack and straps is a pain and exposes your boards to thieves and damage.The ability to stow and go would be awesome
and quick.I just made a trip to Hatteras which is an 8 hour drive for me.When we arrived the racks were loose and the straps were loose.Considering surfboards are 6 to 800 a piece these days it could have been utter disaster.We were in my wife's Honda Odyssey.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:25 AM   #5

Yes, I figured the security issue and perceived convenience was high on the list.

Fixed tops have securing nuts/bolts through the stock roof all the way around. The tops are typically flimsy until bolted down. The challenge here will be how to do that since a cut out gives direct access to those attach points. The top would have to be tall enough to crawl inside to place and tighten the fasteners.

Sealing - this is double edged. I would think weather tight would important while driving. Conversely there would likely be a need for ventilation for wet gear and humidity. Maybe two vents.

Access - if something came loose and was way at the front, crawling around inside to retrieve would probably be necessary.

Platform over the stock roof inside box so items are not bouncing around on the metal roof?
Plan for securing items in roof box so they do not slide/ move around?

I think a rear door can be incorporated with some effort.

Interesting idea - challenging.

Four well secured cross bars and a custom designed full length or half wide secure roof box (aluminum or fiberglass) attached to those cross bars?

Where are located?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

Garage
I think it’s a great idea. Keeps splattered bugs and road grime off all your gear too. Execution may be tricky like mentioned though.

How long are surfboards? Are you looking for an rb or a eb van? How high of a high top are you considering?

A 24” top would allow enough space to send a youngster up into if something worked its way forward. You could also build an internal rack that only allowed the boards to go so far in. The roof of my eh is right about 12’ iirc. If boards were only say 8’ you could put up s barrier so they couldn’t slide forward, but that would leave a bunch of wasted space in front. Or you could cut an access hole 2’ long that you could stow bags above the drivers compartment. Could also make the barrier hingable so you could get stuff up top that shifts and slides forward up top. The stow area up top could be upholstered in ozite to keep things off the metal roof.

I’m just rambling now, but I think your idea could be incorporated. The most important item would be a secure way to access the space in the high top. You could cut out the rear upright and design the door, but fiberglass isn’t that stout for securing your boards.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Keep in mind that surfing almost universally equates to salt water. Adding onto 1der's comments, unless you are obsessive/compulsive about rinsing every square millimeter of your boards and gear, you are now trapping salt water in an area with little to no ventilation. With a sealed high top on the van roof, you wouldn't be able to see the start of any rust issues and take corrective action.

What you want to do is feasible, just really think it through with the pros and cons.

Herb
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

I think it's a promising idea.

You'd want to use the old-style mounting system, where the top is simply screwed into the roof and covered with trim. You would not want to attempt a reverse-flange top with the roof intact IMO, even though they do look a lot better.

I think you'd want to stiffen the existing roof somehow, for durability and sound control (anything up there will rattle like crazy if it's not strapped). Maybe top it with with a layer of poured-in foam and bed liner after the high roof is installed. Basically turn it into a bath tub inside the topper. Since bed-liner products are very toxic, you'd have to find somebody who could apply it with an extension wands.

There's been a lot of Class B campervnas over the years (Coachmen, arestream, Road Trek, Pleasureway, Leisure Travel) that had integrated rear A/C units. You could find or make a similar rear vented hatch, so thieves won't think it's storage, and it would let your gear dry out.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

I am liking all of the ideas and yes there would be some caveats , but all of our boards are sub 6 ft at the moment . the boards all live in board bags so salt water wouldn't be that much of an issue .I guess installation would be an issue ,but perhaps there is some workaround as a couple of you have stated.Maybe a diy plywood box sheathed in fiberglass would be the answer . On the bright side if the roof ever rusted you could cut the bastard out and have a high top.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

I really don't think you'll have any trouble with installation if you order (or find in a salvage yard) a traditional top. Just look for the rubber trim set around the perimeter. You just lay down your sealant, drop the roof on, and drive the screws in ever 8-12"

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/install-high-top/

Only "Reverse-Flange" tops require interior access to install.