Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Jage,

Renee had a good idea re: either your pre or post repair leak testing. Try a drive through car wash (assuming you can find one that the van fits through) that has high pressure water nozzles.

Good luck on the top repair at SMB West!

Herb

Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #12

Jage,
Did they find your leak problem at Sportsmobile West? I was able to pin point my leak to the bolts for the rear latch and penthouse bed holder. I’ve posted my findings under known issues.

-Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #13

They pulled each bolt round robin and found 3 with rust/corrosion along an inch or so of the shaft. I'm sure they siliconed all of them as they were replaced (old and new) as there are silicone threads on my roof in random spots (sloppy).

I can't prove it doesn't leak- it didn't seem to ever be consistent enough to verify or cause intentionally. I sure hope it isn't leaking, but time will tell. I'm guessing from the amount of damage to the bolts there have been water problems for more than a year, and since it's an 05 that means most of it's life. I saw some glances and a partial conversation that seemed to indicate that they'd had this problem with enough vans from a period that it was a known cause. Peter and SMB West certainly outdid Texas who's response was "we can't get it to leak". Admittedly in Texas it's a subcontractor and they (SMB) were busy with the priority of finishing my electrical installs, but still it caused me to have to visit Fresno.

So, yes, hopefully fixed for good.... cross your fingers!