Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #91

Re: Let's talk air bags...

You will have to remove the aux leaf-springs to install airbags, with the exception of the Air-Lifts which replace the bump-stop, so you can maintain the over-loads. However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Air-Lifts have some poor ride qualities due to their limited travel.

The hitch looks setup well to me.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #92

From the looks of it, the Firestones likely won't work with your rear helper springs installed. See the photo earlier in the thread of my rear airbags and how they mount on the main leaf pack. I guess it depends how far in front of the helper springs extend in front of the rear axle.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #93

I had the air lifts that air on top of the axle and replace the factory bump stop. That won't happen again.

I'm all for the Firestone sport rite and the longer travel and no limiting droop.

If I install the Firestones and remove the hellwig helper springs will the Firestones remedy/improve on what the hellwigs were supposed to do?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I had the air lifts that air on top of the axle and replace the factory bump stop. That won't happen again.

I'm all for the Firestone sport rite and the longer travel and no limiting droop.

If I install the Firestones and remove the hellwig helper springs will the Firestones remedy/improve on what the hellwigs were supposed to do?
Yes and no. Airbags are great for varying or intermittent loads. But to correct for sag while empty, steel is best IMO. It's really easy to add another leaf or two to your existing leaf packs, which would do the same thing the Hellwigs are doing, but with better packaging. That's what I did. Bought an F350 spring set for $50, and pulled two leafs from each pack and added them to mine (one on each side required a little trimming), and put it back together with some new U-bolts.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #95

A portable compressor, which you should have anyway, is plenty to alter your airbag pressure on the road. I've changed mine both with my junk compressor and at gas stations during a trip.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #96

Looks like I'll have to pull the hellwig helper spring out and see how the van sits to determine if I should add a leaf or leave it and install the airbags for when I tow/load up. Thanks for the info
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #97

Garage

Any thoughts on the floating airbag setup that Ujoint is offering on his site? http://www.ujointoffroad.com/4wdparts.html

Looking at options for supporting the rear of the van especially when I run my KTM on the versa-haul rack. The rear end currently has the Hellwig helpers (I think... its a 3 leaf spring helper spring on top of the factory leafs) and it sits sorta level with only a slight amount of saggy butt unloaded due to the 12yr old rear end...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
Any thoughts on the floating airbag setup that Ujoint is offering on his site? http://www.ujointoffroad.com/4wdparts.html
Ujoints setup is a perfect combination of adding help from the air bag while load and still have a long travel suspension. If (short) bags are fixed on both sides they will get damaged while off road use.
well done !
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #99

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The Ujoint bags won't work with stock springs and ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
My bags won't work with the stock spring so I would recommend a standard kit from Firestone or Airlift. Why do you want them up front?
I would not use air bags unless it is a last resort. I have not found an air bag that does not either restrict bump travel or droop.

Here are some posts worth reading:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...&hilit=airbags

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...17#post1376217

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
Ujoints setup is a perfect combination of adding help from the air bag while load and still have a long travel suspension. If (short) bags are fixed on both sides they will get damaged while off road use.
well done !

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #100
Site Team

Garage

Mine do lift the vehicle at least 2+ inches or more on the rear. I have sway bar disconnects in the front so I can't have bags up there. My Deaver Springs have set my van level but if I air up the bags it does lift it. I do worry about not having any limiting straps but I've done some really bad stuff and haven't blown or ripped a bag yet. I usually keep the bags low so if I get hung up, the extra lift might help.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote