Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Light Bar

Not sure if this is the right place for this inquiry, but i am looking for a bumper mounted or frame mounted light bar for the front of my E350. Something simple to hold three 8-9" lights. Not sure that I want it to just bolt straight to the bumper as over time the weight and movement will cause deformed and cracked metal on the bumper itself. Any suggestions, if so I would love to see some photos.

This is what I would like, checked with Camburg and they don't make one, I am sure they'll make one but cost prohibitive.
Attached Thumbnails
front_20Light_20Bar.jpg  

Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #2

Re: Light Bar

maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Off Road Warehouse sells these for the E-Series
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/61

http://sheepshagger.smugmug.com/Cars/Bi ... LFK2-M.jpg

these guys did a custom bar for this van. maybe some inspiration for you
http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/photo-g...stom-light-bar

or go big...
http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/e-serie...ontbumper.aspx

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Before you stick those lights up there, install a trans temp gauge. My temps shot way up when I put an array of 6" lights in front of the grill. I ended up replacing the stock cooler with a Tru-Cool max.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I've seen some nice LED light bars that provide a much lower profile. Just a thought.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I've seen some nice LED light bars that provide a much lower profile. Just a thought.
And they're lighter (weight-wise, altho maybe light-wise as well), which means an easier mount. I have some Hellas mounted on a grill guard that's attached to the bumper and the frame, and I get a lot of jittering.

BTW, if you get one of those LED light bars does the DMV consider it one light? One light per LED? In CA we're limited to how many uncovered lights you can have.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
...BTW, if you get one of those LED light bars does the DMV consider it one light? One light per LED? In CA we're limited to how many uncovered lights you can have.
I always thought that in CA, it was about how high any auxilliary lights were, more than anything else. I thought that if the lights were above the bumper, they had to be covered unless offroad not matter how many, or few, you had.

Herb
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

That's true as well.

But I was thinking of this:

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

I cover my two Hellas even though they're below 42", they are the only two, and they're only on with the high beams. I've heard that some eager LEOs will claim they are offroad lights and require a cover, despite my claims to the contrary. And that may have to do with the fact that they're sold as offroad lights not driving lights. In any case, I err on the side of caution.

What I'm not sure about is whether if you have OEM driving lights or fog lights that came with the vehicle, and then you install more, if you're OK. I think so: I just think the added limit is two, hence four total on our vans (except for covered offroad lights).