Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Garage
Looking for extendable mirrors on 2002 E350

I ordered a pair of mirrors off eBay for my E350 and they came with 4 bolts (newer version) not 3 bolts like my version. I put them side by side in this photo.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper extendable mirrors to fit my 2002 E350?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180512_153855.jpg  

BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Tony - Not sure they were ever made for 2002 and prior vans. The door skins changed in 2003, 2002 vs 2003 are very different in the mirror sale area You can go through some modifications to the door and the mirror to make the extending mirrors work, but it is an effort for sure. Wiring can work but it needs to be modded.

Are you towing??
Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #3

Garage
Not looking to tow anything (yet). I just thought it would be easier to find a set, but I see they are a rare bird indeed. Looks like I will go with stock mirrors for now. If I need to change them, I will do so down the road.

Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Tony - Not sure they were ever made for 2002 and prior vans. The door skins changed in 2003, 2002 vs 2003 are very different in the mirror sale area You can go through some modifications to the door and the mirror to make the extending mirrors work, but it is an effort for sure. Wiring can work but it needs to be modded.

Are you towing??
Old 05-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

There's some old threads on here somewhere with step by step instruction to make thew newer mirrors fit.

Basically, you just need a stepped/cone-shaped drill bit to add some hole to the door, then swap over the connectors or wire it with heat-shrink butt connectors, making the wire colors "almost match" (i.e. yellow to orange, blue to purple etc).
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks much. I just ordered the same mirrors as replacements. I'd rather put effort into other things in dire need. Passenger mirror was broken, so that's why I was thinking I might as well upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
There's some old threads on here somewhere with step by step instruction to make thew newer mirrors fit.

Basically, you just need a stepped/cone-shaped drill bit to add some hole to the door, then swap over the connectors or wire it with heat-shrink butt connectors, making the wire colors "almost match" (i.e. yellow to orange, blue to purple etc).
Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #6

A few months back I took the new 4 post and put it on my 2001, I used a step bit as mentioned and you'll need a large Hammer with a sizable socket to bang in some metal to make it work along with trimming some of the plastic on the mirror that you won't see to make it fit.
Changing over to the four post you will no longer be able to use your 3 post because of the new holes and I fear that the trimming on the plastic will render the four-post mirrors useless on Four Hole doors. I can't confirm this because I don't have newer doors yet to try it on. You'll also need some long skinny self tapping screws and large washers, from your local hardware store.
Basically what I'm saying is you will be doing some irreversible damage to both door and mirrors.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed4x4 View Post
Thanks much. I just ordered the same mirrors as replacements. I'd rather put effort into other things in dire need. Passenger mirror was broken, so that's why I was thinking I might as well upgrade.
Well, I did this, with the Ebay mirrors no less. Here's what you didn't know. The Ebay towing mirrors are not nearly as good as the ones you were (but now are not) replacing. I love the look of them but the view behind is nowhere near as good. I always wanted to drive an E-series with the genuine Ford ones on it to see if they were better (had better glass) but never have been in one.

All this to say, you're probably better off now than you would be, you just don't look as cool. I think this could be a metaphor for other aspects of life.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

I agree!! The Ebay towing mirrors are complete crap! I have them and the glass wobbles all over and one of them was wired wrong as well. Total waste of money.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

I did this upgrade to my 2001 and with a step bit and a cardboard template it was not bad at all. Couple of hours each mirror. Did not need to shave any plastic just need a couple fender washers and a few bolts.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
I agree!! The Ebay towing mirrors are complete crap! I have them and the glass wobbles all over and one of them was wired wrong as well. Total waste of money.
Earplugs are the key to making the aftermarket ones usable. Just 2 per side takes the wobble away.