Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Louver for EB Ford

I' m looking for some ideas on a louver mounted to the driver side of the van. I want to keep the stealth look of the van so I will paint it the same color of the van...black.
I am going to mount the louver behind the fuel fill above the rock guard and below the middle body crease. Size will be about 22" long and height is relative to what I can find. This vent will be for an air conditioner mounted in an interior cabinet.

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

It will be mounted in front of the rear wheel well behind the fuel fill.

the compartment it will vent will be sealed so diesel fuel fumes are not a concern
Attached Thumbnails
blackvanside.jpgsmall.jpg  
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

I've seen a small window ac mounted on the side of a camper/van that would slide into an interior cabinet while not in use (while driving) . ac would slide through the opening of a locking access door . similar to this..
Attached Thumbnails
acess door.JPG   sliding AC.JPG  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
I've seen a small window ac mounted on the side of a camper/van that would slide into an interior cabinet while not in use (while driving) . ac would slide through the opening of a locking access door . similar to this..
That is a pretty slick idea.

Herb
Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

How do you plan on powering a household air conditioner?
Because we all know solar power isn't up to the task yet unless you want to spend $25K or are you going to run the vehicle with a large inverter to power the unit ? Or are you going to get a generator?
The reason why I ask is if you're going to run the vehicle just use the factory air conditioning. If you're going to run a generator, why not get a roof mounted unit and avoid the hassles of cutting the sides of a van and making contraptions to slide in and out which will compromise interior space.

Well your idea sounds intriguing, but I find many faults with it. Sorry to be blunt and honest but just trying to help you make better decisions
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

If you don't have a PH top, I agree that an RV-type rooftop AC unit would probably make more sense. Although it will cost more than a small window AC unit, for sure. But you still have to cut a hole in the van...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you don't have a PH top, I agree that an RV-type rooftop AC unit would probably make more sense. Although it will cost more than a small window AC unit, for sure. But you still have to cut a hole in the van...
I always appreciated the fixed, raised tops that had the recess in the back for a roof-top AC unit.

Herb
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

We have a RV style roof top unit on the Tardis but have never used it. Not that hot and humid in Western Oregon. 86Scotty installed it when he had the van. They used it a lot in their travels. It was powered by a Honda generator.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Interesting... look forward to hearing more about this.

I went stealth with a portable instead of window unit. I put the licence plate on a hinge and then vented the A/C under the plate.

Power is not too bad. It hits 15 amp when the compressor comes on, but after that it is 5 amps. It will run on my Harbor Freight 1500 watt inverter. Just start the A/C with the van engine running. Then set the temp so low the compressor will never go off again and you can turn off the van engine and let the batteries do their job.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #10

^^xcnick, do you already have a thread showing the AC mod? If not, please start one with more pics and details. People are always asking about this. A separate thread would be a great resource.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote