Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Re: Mod my 2005 E350 or get a newer van to mod?

I've been wanting a 5 star tune for a while, but I've been waiting on getting one because I've also been wanting to lift my van. I figure if I wait until I lift it, I can get it with the tire correction...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

do the five star tuner now and after you lift it all you do is press buttons to accommodate the tire size.

it's a night and day difference driving with a 5star tuner it's not just about power it's about shift points and transmission reactions too.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #13

Depending on how big you want the storage area, sitting up shouldn't be a problem- we sleep in the bottom of our "50" and there is not only plenty of storage underneath but room to sit up even with the ph bed in place above, which is less headroom than a stock top.

I wouldn't do some gigantic storage where you cannot sit up in the bed (makes getting in and out tough) but have some type of removable bed surface and mattress/cushions, such that you can pull or fold the bed, haul cargo when necessary, put enough under the bed when camping and have the best of both worlds. There is a pretty cool alternating slat bed floating around campfire in a video- make it double sided and have a classic seating/bed with haul space down the middle.

http://vandogtraveller.com/expanding-bed-for-van/
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #14

^^Thats a sweet expanding setup.

My plan as of now is to build a removable sleeping platform similar to this..
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-e ... and-Tools/

I already purchased one of these Ikea mattresses for the van too.. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10272316/

Originally, I wanted to build a platform to sleep across the van since it would leave enough room at the rear of the van to have a chest style fridge. But I might just start out by building a platform to sleep length wise since I don't have a fridge yet and I wont have to cut up the foam mattress.

As far as height, I think I'll need about 17" to clear the plastic storage bins and ice chest. I'm hoping to head to home depot this weekend to get some lumber to and give it a go.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #15

The head room goes quick, all the room really. One of our original ideas was a platform in the back for sleeping and storage. Once we were done lowering it to sit comfortably the storage space wouldn't fit our needs. The Penthouse framing, in our van, lowers the ceiling height further into the van. Said another way, it extends about 16" on the sides thus reducing the available height to about 50". We're not going to have a Penthouse bed, giving us some "extra" headroom in the center but it's span is only 40". I'm a little over 5'9" and I was not comfortable in any of our scenarios, mattress size was 6".

We'll be traveling for 4 years, hopefully, so inside space is important when the weather turns nasty. If it was a weekender then modular would be the way to go. I'd also strongly consider a high top over a Penthouse. We love the tenting but permanent standing height is magnificent, we do miss that from our Pleasure-way days. That may not be an option but I wanted to share our opinion. I've seen some cool fold-down beds in Sprinter builds when we were considering one. Their closer to flat walls are envious.

-John