Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Modifying Rear Wheel Wells

I know, I am full of questions, can't help it. I got the bug.

Part of my home build is trying to get a rear forward folding bench as far to the passenger side as possible. Of course, it is right over the wheel well and the bench seat frame hits the well. So my thought is to cut a chunk out of the well so the seat will snug up to the wall and weld a piece back in there. This would drop the effective height of the well about 3"

I measured the rear travel from the frame bumper to the axle as being about 5". From the top of the stock tire to the well is about 9". So that gives me 4" inches and I need about 3. This is all stock of course and the van is going to agile in december and I plan on putting 33" tires on it. Not sure how much the rear get's lifted and what type of travel they now have. I guess worst case is I add a spacer to the bumper to make sure the frame bottoms on the axle instead of the tire on my hack wheel well mod.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Huh?.......
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Huh?.......
Want to put an Astrovan seat in my van but over the wheel well. Seat too short. Thought about cutting a section out of the wheel well. Came to my senses and decided not to do that.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Just got done talking with John today when I dropped off my van, and he was showing me how the rear wheels can rub a very small amount on full extension. But it seemed to be more on the side of the tire.

That being said, I wouldn't dare do this. Gotta be a way to find/modify a seat to work.

Pretty sure it's a 4 inch lift, but it can vary from van to van depending on the goal.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Just got done talking with John today when I dropped off my van, and he was showing me how the rear wheels can rub a very small amount on full extension. But it seemed to be more on the side of the tire.

That being said, I wouldn't dare do this. Gotta be a way to find/modify a seat to work.

Pretty sure it's a 4 inch lift, but it can vary from van to van depending on the goal.

Yeah, I emailed John and he did say 2" blocks and added springs give a 4" lift. John is terrific with the emails.

I then had bad visions of bottoming out with a lot of weight in the back and a nasty thud and a torn up wheel well and seat and a bad mess. All of this was to avoid buying a new sofa bed and trying to do my own. After some consideration, I just need to buck up and get the nice pro made bench seat conversion bed with built in wheel well clearance.

My job often entails turning less than great ideas into reality. They are usually other people's ideas, but here was one of my less than great ideas. Doing a home build means I have to try and solve a lot of problems that Sportsmobile has already solved, so I get way ahead of myself sometimes. Just gonna have to take the high road and spend the cash on made for the job seating.

But thanks for the warning. Watching MGMetalworks put a Cummings in an E350 makes me think anything is possible, but he is lightyears ahead of me.

And please post copious amounts of pics of your 4x4, I need something to tide me over until December 1st when mine goes in! Can't. Wait.