Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Garage
Move Offroad Rear Bumper

We are in process now with a rear bumper build from Move Offroad. They sell a weld it yourself kit that isn't all that difficult to assemble as long as you have the proper tooling. For the install, we are testing out Miller's new Multimatic 215 (multipurpose) welder. It has the ability to run TIG,MIG and Stick processes and seems easy to use and can be used on 110 or 220v. Very nice! The bumper was a bit cumbersome to assemble without assistance since this version has bent plate ends that have many bends to align and tack. Once all the pieces were tacked into place, we removed the bumper and MIG welded the back of the bumper completely. We plan to TIG weld the front to keep a clean appearance without a ton of grinding. Here are a couple of pics up to this point. This build will be featured in 8-Lug Magazine in a month or so.

https://www.movebumpers.com/

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20160803_182440.jpg   20160803_182512.jpg   20160803_193011.jpg   20160803_193217.jpg   20160803_193047.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
How much does it weigh?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

Looks good. Is it my imagination that it is fairly low in the back so that it affects the departure angle?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Garage
I'd guess it weighs about 75ish lbs with the lights. It's quite close to the stock bumper. As far as departure angle, it sits closer to the body and does have a more aggressive angle up, so I'd say there would be a difference. In all fairness, I never hit my factory bumper on anything offroad, at least to this point.

Edit, the difference in approach angle would be positive. This bumper provides more approach than the stock step bumper did.

Scott
Old 08-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
An aluminum bumper weighs more than 75 lbs. What gauge steel sheet is it made from?

It looks good. Does hang lower in relationships to the hitch which is still the lowest point in the middle. I've dragged my higher bumper several times, but out AR the corners.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
An aluminum bumper weighs more than 75 lbs. What gauge steel sheet is it made from?

It looks good. Does hang lower in relationships to the hitch which is still the lowest point in the middle. I've dragged my higher bumper several times, but out AR the corners.
3/16" plate for everything. I can weigh it later this evening when I get home, but it isn't as heavy as I expected. The shipping box had a 80lb sticker on it. This one does add clearance at the ends since they are angled up, but the center is a little closer to the OEM hitch. In any case, the hitch is the lowest point to the ground.

Scott
Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #7

That's a nice looking bumper, great DIY project.

IMO Steel keeps a bumper project within reach of most DIY guys skills and machine, easy to add a set of lugs or D rings at some later date. Cut to fit, weld to attach, paint to match

I think Move It is the same brand/kit that polishadam bought and built.

How many hours will you have in it?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
That's a nice looking bumper, great DIY project.

IMO Steel keeps a bumper project within reach of most DIY guys skills and machine, easy to add a set of lugs or D rings at some later date. Cut to fit, weld to attach, paint to match

I think Move It is the same brand/kit that polishadam bought and built.

How many hours will you have in it?
Exactly. We are building it as a DIY for the magazine to show these things don' t need to cost a ton to have. I have about 3 hours in it to this point. If I TIG the outside seams and metal finish properly, likely another 3 hours. Part of this article is to show what Move supplies with the kit and build it as they intended with the basic setup. We will add plenty of features and bracing that will increase it's capability and weight a bit, but make it more functional for actual use. They do mention in the instructions this may be necessary for many applications. By the time I am done with it after this initial build, it will have reinforcements to allow a Hi-Lift jack to safely lift without adapters, a location for the 7 pin trailer plug, and a nice and thick powdercoat to match the lower body panel color.

The lights were provided by OLB | Offroad LED Light Bars, Kits & Products and seem to be high quality pieces. Once wired, I can provide more info on their function. I do, however, plan to swap them out for Baja Designs Sport lights since I am in love with their super high quality product.

Scott
Old 08-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
An aluminum bumper weighs more than 75 lbs.
That figure keeps surprising me. I've had the front stock bumper off a couple of times for various reasons, and mine it chrome steel and I'd be surprised if it weighed anywhere near that. (It is actually possible that I'm stronger now than when I moved things for a living.)

WRT departure angle. It depends how much you care about your bumper. My front lift is way higher than the back (think forerunner), and I have a hitch back there. I drag/hit the hitch plenty on trails, but I've never even come close to being mildly concerned that I might get stuck that way. In a couple of years I'll probably touch up the powder coat, at least around the deep gouges, but it's really nothing worth spending much time thinking about.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #10

Garage
Wrapped up the install tonight, total weight was 68lbs. Rattle canned for now, powdercoat very soon.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20160805_182919.jpg   20160805_182937.jpg