Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Nerf or Steps? Econoline 250

Hi, I have a Sportsmobile based on the Econcoline E250. It is clear I will need some steps to make entry easier. I am deciding on nerf bars or steps.

First - would a 1994 Econoline be pre-drilled for any specific type of - either nerf or steps? The less surgery - the better.

Secondly - what works best for you?

Thanks.

SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Here are some similar threads to get you started, plenty of reading and perspective in the threads listed below.

I have, yet to be installed, RSE step-sliders. I am hoping they are everything I have every dreamed of in terms of a step-slider, but I have no idea because they are sitting on the floor in my basement . Meanwhile, I am still using Carr Hoop steps that I am less than enthusiastic about, but they do at least provide a step to get into my van.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rds-21068.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rds-17238.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ise-18756.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ers-18308.html
Old 06-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Garage
I have nerf bars I’m taking off to put carr steps back on. I had them on my last van and they work ok. Nerf bar is too close to same height as rocker panel. You are welcome to mine after I take them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post

First - would a 1994 Econoline be pre-drilled for any specific type of - either nerf or steps? The less surgery - the better.

Secondly - what works best for you?

Thanks.

...no idea about a 1994 but my 2008 has holes for the factory plastic steps...as do older vans as well, no idea how far back though.

I was planning on swapping them out for something sexier but they work great as steps and our small (and old) dogs need them to get in the van.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I have nerf bars I’m taking off to put carr steps back on. I had them on my last van and they work ok. Nerf bar is too close to same height as rocker panel. You are welcome to mine after I take them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be interested in your nerf bars. I’m located in Seattle, so pretty easy for me to run down and grab them.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Garage
I have 3 of the bigger Carr steps and they are way better than nothing but I want something full length.

One of the biggest things I don’t like about the Carr steps is mud & snow build up quick. I realize mud flaps would help with that, but my ocd won’t allow them. That said I assume most all versions of a step gather mud and guck to some extend.

Ideally a tougher cheaper version of the Aluminess bars would be my first choice, but instead of one little step on the drivers side the step would be full length like passenger side.

Now after riding in my buddies ram with the retractable steps I contemplate those. So nice after a long bike ride or hike. There’s a list of pieces parts that mg put together for those who can do their own fab work that you could purchase and install, but no idea what that would set you back.

Only part of our van that I’ve ever hit on anything was a step. Would be nice if there wasn’t anything hanging that low. The amp steps would solve that, but in my head the fixed steps also help you gauge before you hit a vital too, fuel tank, tranny, driveline, etc.

Interested in hearing others opinions on the subject.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Great - thank you everyone. I have a Dodge Cummins with nerfs and my wife uses them. I don't. The van is a bit higher and even I would benefit from a step. I think the step concept feels like a winner at the moment.

One other factor - I have an 8 yr old dog. At some point it may be harder for her to get in and out. Are there any steps or nerfs that would be suitable for a dog as well?

Thanks all.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
I would be interested in your nerf bars. I’m located in Seattle, so pretty easy for me to run down and grab them.
Send me a PM and I'll call or text you when they come off.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I took off the Carr hoop steps, well rather 2 were nearly ripped off on rocks while in Moab, the passenger side almost went into the rail mounted battery, not good.
It depends on how you use your rig, if you venture off road and lumber around any rocks, I would avoid the Carr hoop steps, they simply hang down too far. They’re great for getting in/out otherwise, large platform at a lower height.
I ended up going with the N-Fab full length bars with built in steps, they’re smaller footprint steps and don’t hang down nearly as far, it attaches to the pinch weld, so easy/easier install for a DIY. They’ve held up fairly well, haven’t nailed them on anything, and they’re cheaper than the Aluminess version and can be touched up with some rattle can spray on bed liner.
If you’re into hardcore off road stuff and want something really burly you should have some true rock rails fab’d up and welded to the frame, I considered this option, but hasn’t happened.....yet

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #10

Nerf or steps

I have 3 CARR steps for my E-250 easy to install or remove. Nerfs are too big IMHO
JJTWISTER
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote