Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

New E-series seats install - Sponsored by MG Metalworks

Here is the write up for another simple task, once you see the pictures, you wont wonder how to do it. This works if you get a set of seats that you need to transfer your seat belt tensioner to. Or you can use this write up to replace your tensioner if it goes bad.

This write up was made possible by the generous donation of captains chairs from MG Metalworks.

I am working on getting some sienna seats, and I will be purchasing MG Metalworks mounts for them when I do, but here is a write up to put the latest model E-series seats into your 1993-on van.

To go from

to

It only requires the removal of the four bolts holding the seat to the ground, two are 18mm and one is a large Torx, I believe a 60.

Here are the tools that you will need.

Attached Thumbnails
after copy.jpg   before copy.jpg   toolsneeded.JPG  

hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #2

Re: New E-series seats install - Sponsored by MG Metalworks

To start, use the 18mm deep socket, and the large Torx and remove the seats from your van. Don't forget to unplug the seat belt/pre tensioner connection under your seat. It helps to move the seat-back into the most vertically forward position to make the seat as small as possible.

Next once you've unplugged your seat, place it in some area that will be easy to work on.

Note:
If you are replacing with seats that do not have seatbelt receptacles/pretensioners then read on, otherwise, just do what you did above with your new seats in reverse order.

Use your phillips and remove the plastic cover that protects and covers your seatbelt tensioner.

Take your smaller Torx(I think 25, but I didn't look, sorry) and remove the seatbelt receptacle and pretensioner.

Note: This is a gas charged cylinder that tightens that cable you see in the case of an accident. It would be wise to be gentle with it, and I personally wouldn't put my fingers in any pinch points while I was messing with it.

Next you will need to loosen, almost to the point of removing the bolts that hold the seat to the rails.

Seen here....

Attached Thumbnails
unplugthis.JPG   gastensioner.JPG   underseatbolts.JPG  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

And also seen here....

Only do this on the side that the pretensioner was on. This will allow you to remove the plug through the small space that it is fed through.

Do not remove this plug from the top of the pretensioner..

That would be bad

Then loosen the exact same bolts under your new seats, and feed the wires to the same location.

While you were removing them, you probably will encounter a couple plastic one way plugs. I cant stand these and remove them with pliers. They tend to be harsh on the hands, and never really go back in right. I use electrical tape and just tape it back up to where it was. Works for a long time, and no hassle.

I did keep the black plug that holds the connection of the wire from the seat, and the wire to the body. This one is easy to get out, and goes back on easily as well.

Bolt the Torx bolt attached to the pretensioner into the hole on your new seat, use your old cover, or whatever your new seats comes with and then your are done. Bolt it back into your van, plug it back in and make sure to mount your plug connection back up under your seat so it doesn't get caught in the slide.

When you are done, you can enjoy the comfort of new seats.

Happy hunting.
Attached Thumbnails
underseatbolts2.JPG   tensionerplug.JPG   tapeitup.JPG  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #4

Oh I almost forgot to mention,

My seats are available free for local pickup. Pass a good deed on

They are in good shape, but are missing the seat belt attachment. The drivers side has been re-done so the base center panel does not match.
Attached Thumbnails
freeseats.JPG  
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Free seats in great condition is always a good deal. Nice write up too!

If it matters to the tool nut guys (like me!) the front base bolts use a T55P Torx socket, the P being for PLUS. It looks like a regular Torx head bolt but a T55 feels loose, T60 might not fit.

Since I remove my E250 seats without hesitation these days I bought the socket for way less than $15, SK Tools brand.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

Great write up! Thanks for freeing up space in my shop.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote