Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #11

Re: Newbie question--RB vs EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
If you like the more balanced look of the Ford RB, you might consider Chevy's EB. Chevy lengthens out the wheelbase so you don't have the long overhang on the Ford. Less overhang makes for a more stable tow rig, too.
But they turn funny, and take a lot more room to do it! I drove Ford EBs, Chevy EBs, and Sprinters back to back in the delivery world for many years. The best were the Sprinters, even though they're bigger. Ford 2nd mostly due to lousy mirrors. Chevy EBs most likely to be dented up after just a few months (though never by me ) because the stretched out axle makes them so hard to maneuver.
My recommendation is an EB Ford.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
Less overhang makes for a more stable tow rig, too.
If all things were equal, then yes. But they aren't. The Ford EB vans are FAR more stable with a heavy trailer. I think the biggest reason being the rear springs on the Chevy which are way too soft for towing and also too skinny which allows for more lateral movement. I had to stop renting the Chevy vans for large trips because of the number of pukers.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
In parking lots I just take up 2 spots front to rear so the nose or rear isn't sticking out for someone to run into.
Ok this point is actually more important then you'd think. My van has been several times in parking lots. Luckily with the big bumpers I only have to clean off some extra paint. But I can't believe how many people don't see it

Last victim was my sister in law...
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinmoon
For some reason I like the looks of the RB better - it seems more balanced to me. Stephanie
That contributed to our RB choice plus the extra costs associated with an EB. In hindsight I don't think the EBs are that unbalanced and the extra space is significant.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

Newbie question--RB vs EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
For some reason I like the looks of the RB better - it seems more balanced to me. Stephanie
That contributed to our RB choice plus the extra costs associated with an EB. In hindsight I don't think the EBs are that unbalanced and the extra space is significant.

Don
All you need to do his buy an EB. After about a month the regular bodies will start to look funny and your EB will look right forever.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:

Don
All you need to do his buy an EB. After about a month the regular bodies will start to look funny and your EB will look right forever.
Pug-nosed?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #17

RBs are cute little vans...

Haha.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #18

Newbie question--RB vs EB

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're buying used I think you'll find more EBs, and the RBs will tend to be a bit more 4x4 ish, mainly because more of the 4x4 folks preferred them. By a bit. The EB is only 22' so not much of a diff.