Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Oddball Latch/rear Door

I had thought this to be a Ford part, but they deny it. On my 2007 E350, rear driver side door sill, to the left of the main door latch is a 2 prong plastic fitting. On the door itself, on the bottom, is a corresponding, plastic attachment, which engages the one on the sill when closed.
What is it?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #2

Is that the access opening cover for lowering the spare tire?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Oddball latch/rear door

On the vinyl trim which runs the width of the van is a rubber cover, which I was told was some type of access hole for the previous spare tire. I have the under floor compartment. So this pastic oddball ftg. is on the metal sill. Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #4

Garage
I believe it is the 'lock' for lowering the spare. W/O removing it you can't lower the spare if it is underneath. At least that is what my 01 has....

-d
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
I believe it is the 'lock' for lowering the spare. W/O removing it you can't lower the spare if it is underneath. At least that is what my 01 has....

-d
Yea I got that also at the bottom of the door. It kind of sits there and rattles around, never sits in the rubber seal and provides a spot for dust to help find its way in. I was told the same by SMB...it's for the spare tire that is no longer there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #6

Oddball Latch/rear door

It is "funny", the dealer's don't seem to know anything about this! The standard answer for all of the "know nothings" is, " You'll have to check with those who did the conversion".
Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #7

Oddball Latch/rear door

I was able to turn out the latch screw on the door sill and remove the metal plate underneath, and it may be a support arm for the tool to lower the spare tire before removed for the underfloor storage. The spring loaded matching piece on the door itself is still a mystery as it does not appear to have any wiring, or purpose to it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #8

rear door latch

Patrick,

The metal plate you removed is a "lock" for the original factory spare tire. It can only be removed to access the lowering unit if the rear doors are opened. You'll want to replace it, along with the rubber grommet around it, to prevent even more dust from entering through the back door area.

The spring loaded piece is there to help "center" the door in the jamb so that the curb side door aligns with the driver side door. It also aids in keeping the door latches from getting in a bind when the body is twisted, as it will in certain situations.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM   #9

Oddball Latch/rear door

Aaahaaa! Mystery solved Sherlock! Thanks John K. A good tip about sealing for dust, thanks. Hopefully, before long, with spring on the way, we will be out "twisting" the SMB. Now, to find a use for the old metal tirelock on the SMB, in a true miserly camper style . A coat hook possibly.
Thanks again.