Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

OEM Ford Running Board Compatability by Year

Does anyone know about any changes to the E-350 body by 2010 that would prevent mounting 2006 OEM Running Boards?

I keep seeing 2001-2006 listed as a time frame in regards to running boards or running board mounts in various places, but I can't tell if this is just arbitrary, or, if Ford made some changes in 2007 that would prevent easily mounting older 2001-2006 OEM running boards to newer vans. I doubt it makes any difference, but my 2010 is a passenger not cargo style E350.

Thanks in advance for the help all!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

I mounted a set to my 98 E250 and my dad’s 2012 E150. Everything seemed identical to me.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Superb - thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

The only difference might be that not all the holes are predrilled in the older van. I honestly can’t remember if I had to drill any in my 98.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Except for the front doors the E-Series bodies from 1992 thru 2013 or end of life were all pretty much the same at least underneath where factory running boards would install.

The Club Wagon or passenger van configuration is the same as a cargo only van, the main difference body-wise would be window openings and perhaps passenger seating mounting points in the floor.

There could be a few holes added for running boards during manufacture after 2008 but nothing so vastly different you can't adapt something to a 2007 or earlier E-Series.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #6

Awesome - thanks folks. I picked up the 2006 boards from the salvage yard today, and the driver side went on easy peasy into the existing factory holes. I'll have to wait on installing the passenger side as I'm having trouble finding enough u-nuts/speed nuts at my local brick and mortars. I didn't expect finding the small hardware to be the tricky part!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithie View Post
...I'm having trouble finding enough u-nuts/speed nuts at my local brick and mortars. I didn't expect finding the small hardware to be the tricky part!
Hey, glad you're finding it to work out OK!

Since you're having success --- can you share some info on the u-nuts/speed-nuts hardware that you're picking up to mount those running boards? I've been sitting on a set of those same OEM boards for probably a year or so, and the project of mounting them has stalled (mostly) because they came without the mounting hardware.

I've seen photos of the factory hardware, but haven't succeeded in tracking down the equivalent hardware-store-sourced stuff to get the job done. Wondering if ya could share specs/a photo or two of the stuff you rounded up. (Even though you're still a bit short on the total number required!)

Thanks (and again congrats on making it work!)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #8

I got my nuts at my local Ace hardware store in their loose hardware section.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

I've ended up using 5/16" extruded u-nuts and matching 5/6" x 1" body bolts with the large loose washers included. Metric sizes were simply unavailable anywhere I went. The ones I'm using are made by Hillman and are available at Pep Boys in their small parts/hardware/fasteners drawers (these may not be on the retail floor, so, you might need to ask an employee about them).

The drawers are a mess, so, definitely look around in the other slots and in the drawers above and below. I was able to find 9 u-nuts in one store doing this, and 0 in a second store.

NAPA seems to sell a pretty much identical model of u-nut made by Balkamp, and I plan to check them if I strike out at the last local Pep Boys in my area. NAPA's are actually viewable on their website. The bolts I'm using look like this (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6652324), and the u-nuts look like this (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6651303) - but these are metric 6 examples - it's a real pain to try to find specific sizes of these on Napa's website....

Home Depot sells a u-nut / speed nut I looked at too, but I did not like the design and I don't think it would work quite as well as these one's from Pep Boys have.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #10

Garage
Big thanks Smithie!
Those NAPA links are spot-on.

(Btw....BrianW.....rock on man....! You're a sharper tack than I am (for figuring this out on your own utilizing basic ACE hardware stuff.))
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oem, running boards