Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #11

Re: Opinions wanted on getting rid of ugly SMB paint stripin

I like the second one best....

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #12

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! One of the reasons I posted was because I know others have expressed that they have similar stripes and don't like them, so I figured maybe seeing some mock-ups would help them with ideas, too.

I mainly don't like the stripe for two reasons: 1) it makes the van look dated, and 2) it makes it stand out too much when I park it in the street, am stealth camping, etc.

@Viva, I've seen those hightops where the stripe turns back on itself. I agree, not very likable to my eyes, either.

Yes, the stripes are painted on, not decals, which is what makes them hard to remove. They are actually done in a very high-quality way, too. I have the original SMB build sheet, and the first owner paid an extra $150 for the "upsweep" over the cost of the horizontal stripe. As an aside, the cost in 1998 for "automotive acrylic enamel with UV clearcoat" was $422 for a horizontal stripe, $567 for upsweep, $574 for "upsweep, around," and $89 surcharge for EB vans.

I've seen the silver 4x4 EB van with the stripe that wraps around the back; it looks nice on his van. That's what got me thinking about it (I almost bought that van but "gnty" beat me to it!).

The two shorter stripes have the advantage of not requiring much repainting of the stripe; only a bit to "close off" the shortened end of the stripe where we'd paint white over it. The long stripe would require additional painting of the multi-color stripe, which would probably push the cost up. If I go with the long one, I don't think I'll wrap it around the back, but just end at the rear corners.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I'm for number 1 but move it back a little. When you get that painted have them spray over the Mr t stripe with white then re clear the back. Ot might just take a wet sanding to get that one off also.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I mainly don't like the stripe for two reasons: 1) it makes the van look dated, and 2) it makes it stand out too much when I park it in the street, am stealth camping, etc.
I hear you on both counts (my van has the "gnty" style stripe). That said, I think the straight stripe at least looks less dated than the re-swoop (as you so ably described in your first post ). As for the stealth: I do a lot of "stealth" camping when on long road trips. In the past I've had a "normal, surely no-one is camping in that" type vehicle, so it was easy to pass. I knew that unless I had a plain, white "contractor" looking van it probably wasn't going to be an option in the SMB. Well instead (with my groovy stripe ), I've decided it's a "kindly retired couple who bought a modest rig but saved money and thus has it to spend in your town" look. Hiding in plain sight, so to speak. So far it seems to have worked

Quote:
I have the original SMB build sheet, and the first owner paid an extra $150 for the "upsweep" over the cost of the horizontal stripe.

Quote:
As an aside, the cost in 1998 for "automotive acrylic enamel with UV clearcoat" was $422 for a horizontal stripe
Wow. (Although I'd agree, they were done nicely.)

It's interesting what some of the SMB build charges were. I bought mine from the original owners, and they still remembered having to pay a $180 upcharge to have linoleum put in instead of carpeting - which annoyed them as who would put carpeting in a sporty/camping rig anyway? (I'm still thanking them though!).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #15

Garage

All three look about the same to me. Try not to look at it so much.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #16

How much to go all white? Bigger area, but less color matching, and no "I don't like that stripe either" in the future.

All my other ideas are decidedly un-subtle, so if you're trying to blend in... yeah, no.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #17

An other (cheap and fast) idea you just can try. Let it like it is and put a decal you like into the horizontal blue stripe.
A number, 4x4. your initials, anything else
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Opinions wanted on getting rid of ugly SMB paint striping

Turn those stripes into a flame job! With gold leaf! That might update the look by a few years.
...I know...that doesn't help...at least you don't have to look at it while your driving! Just embrace your inner 80's and grow a mustach. It's not THAT bad, really.... :^)
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
How much to go all white? Bigger area, but less color matching, and no "I don't like that stripe either" in the future.
Yeah, I thought about doing that, but the cost is out of range right now. The paint is in really amazing shape for being a 1998 so there's no real reason for a full repaint.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Site Team

Garage

How much do those shrink wraps cost?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote