Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Options for tires with a little more meat on them for my '89 SMB

The tread on my current pizza cutters is getting low and lately I've been thinking that I'd like something a little meatier, something with a bit more aggressive tread and more width. While the van doesn't see any serious offroad it does see plenty of rocky dirt roads.

I believe it has the stock rims and I'm guessing stock size tires. I've got 215/85/16s on there now.

I'm not really sure what I can fit in there without having any rubbing issues. Today I was at the local tire shop and their guestimate was that I could fit something along the lines of 285/85/16 but I'd have to go to a wider rim. It sounds like my current rims are 6" wide and they suggested going to 7" at least.

I'm hoping to get some info on what size tire will fit without any rubbing issues and what size rim I'd need to go along with it. If anyone could help with the specs on the rims that I need that would be super helpful too, they are 8 lug but I'm not sure the hole pattern or spacing.

Here's some pics to show what I'm currently working with:

I did recently put an add-a-leaf in the rear to raise that a little and clear up some saggy'ness

dfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

You wont be able to fit 285's on your van unless you have a considerably lift. You could comfortably fit 245/75/16 which is a stock size. If you want something beefier, go with an all terrain tire.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

Yep what he said^^^^^

If you want to run bigger then a 245 tire you will need to do some sort of suspension upgrade. Even with a 4-6" lift kit we usually have to trim the lower part of the bumper valance.
WeldTecDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Thanks. You guys have any opinions on needing to go to wider rims if I wanted to move up to some 245/75/16s?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

The 245 was an original size that came on factory steel wheels so no need to worry about that. Some people even run them with 285's.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

great, thanks for the info