Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #1

I posed a similar question to SMB yesterday. (Didn't get a real response as Aluminess hasn't yet made an '08 bumper yet with the Powerplant) I too am considering the Warn Powerplant but am very concerned about the combination with the Aluminess and how it effects airflow. I was thinking that after reading all the posts dealing with the hot dog house, maybe the heat problem inside the engine compartment stems from poor airflow as much as the turbo location. Maybe its a combination of a number of post stock items. I can’t find it now, but I did read a Ford press release touting the bigger ’08 grille and better airflow. My question to SMB also asked if billet grilles reduced the airflow. SMB said no, that the billet grilles actually increases airflow in the current model. So, to tag a question on to this post, if you are having heat build-up problems, what type of front grille do you have?

... Charlie

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #2

Airflow

On our 2006 diesel, we have the Aluminess Trojan front bumper and the billet grill which I think allows pretty good airflow to the engine. I haven't had the extreme heating of the doghouse that some have complained about, but the engine gets really hot after a long, climb to an alpine campsite while heavily loaded.

I've made a point on hot summer days to open the hood after reaching camp to allow the engine to cool faster and try to cut down on transferring that heat into the living area of the van through the doghouse. The diesel is a big hunk of iron that stays hot even two hours after reaching a high camp, so I will probably end up insulating the doghouse more at some point.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #3

Hot Diesels

Diesel vans run real hot. Ford tried to address the problem in 2008. I put

vents in my bumper and my hood. It didn't help much. I think the Aluminess

Trojan does block air flow especially when you add lights.( Not a good Ideal)

The other bumper some folks have (Scatter?), appears to have better air flow..

I plan on taking my bumper off just to see if it runs cooler..

JM
Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #4

Bumper

Jeffrey has the bumper that I think has better airflow... Who makes it?

JM
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #5

Our van has a modified Warn PU bumper and no winch. We still had overheating issues.

We first noticed the problem going up a long grade on a 100 degree day. The temp gauge was going up and up, and finally the engine lost power (CPU shut off power to prevent engine damage?). I poured a gallon of water over the radiator and power returned to normal.

We also noticed, after a long trip, the bottom 1/3 of the radiator (AC condensor actually) had no bugs while the top 2/3 had plenty of bug debris. The bumper was directly in front of the bottom 1/3 of the radiator. So, I drilled 11 holes 2"dia in the front of the bumper to let in more air. I also put an air dam in front of the radiator so the air had to go through the radiator, not straight out the bottom. Now the entire radiator is evenly coated with bugs. No more problems!

We now have a ScanGauge and can read temps. I've seen as high as 227, but have not seen the factory temp gauge move at that temp. Wonder how hot it got when it shut down?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #6

Garage
My bumper is made by
Road Armor.

They have a few different brushbar choices, and I went with the 'pre-runner' style, whatever that means. I simply did not want the big bar over the headlights and wraparound sides any longer. I believe I have proper air flow, too.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Bumpers

Yes thats the bumper I like.. The front edge is bevelled off. It looks like it
would have better airflow... I put louvres in my hood and on the side
front fenders, it lets more hot air out. Id show a picture but I can't figure
out how to make pictures 800x800. I also made a two foot by 4 inch sheetmetal scoop thats under the front bumper. It still runs hot !.. On my 6.0 F350 the fan came on once in two years. I don't know how anybody tows anything with the van heating problem... I have the billet grill.

JM
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #8

Re: Bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadmyriad
Id show a picture but I can't figure
out how to make pictures 800x800.
You can put the online elsewhere and link to them or send them to me and I'll resize them for you... of course if they're BIG they might not go through email.

There are a lot of programs that will allow you to resize, although I'm aware not everyone wants to learn new things all the time, Paint Shop Pro is my favorite recommendation and should be available on Shareware.com or other download sites.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #9

Overheating

Mike The factory gauge won't move off center till temp reaches 270 degrees. So it's useless.... Mines got as high 225 but I hate the fan coming on all the time... I'am going to try a road armour bumper, if it's not made out of steel.

JM
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #10

Garage
It is steel, but comes in at about 130 pounds. I thought that was a very manageable difference from the aluminess.