Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Pinstriped my van!

Arrrrgh!

This weekend I had no choice but to drive down a narrow track, with trees/bushes on both sides and thus pinstriped my van.

It looks like (from spit on a cloth) that it's just the clearcoat. The van is silver, so that might be an illusion.

What do I do to de-pinstripe it?

thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Pinstriped my van!

"Wax on, wax off" - Elbow grease...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

I just spent 5 days tearing up both sides of my van with tree branches and shrubs. Most of it buffed out....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #4

Could I ask a slightly hijackey but maybe the answer would be pertinent to GreyDawg question here?

My 1997 SMB is the basic Ford white (I think it's Oxford White), and I would like to give it a light compounding (it's a tiny bit flat/dull, but overall in decent shape). I'm familiar with compounding/buffing fiberglass/gelcoat, but not paint. What I'm wondering is if this van would have had a clearcoat (like my metal-flake paint car does whereas the "solid" color versions of the same car do not), or if it is "plain" paint since it's a solid color? My feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if it is a "plain" color without clearcoat, then I can do a gentle compounding and then wax. (I'd be out of my league if it has clearcoat, probably.)

Thanks! (And I hope this info is of some use to the thread.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Yup. Even the white Ford vans have a clearcoat. The only modern vehicles I've seen without a clearcoat is the previous generation Sprinter vans.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
I just spent 5 days tearing up both sides of my van with tree branches and shrubs. Most of it buffed out....

How did you buff it? Is there a particular product -- wax? rubbing compound? -- that I should use in addition to the aforementioned elbow grease?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Yup. Even the white Ford vans have a clearcoat. The only modern vehicles I've seen without a clearcoat is the previous generation Sprinter vans.
Thanks, carringb. I guess this does apply to both GreyDawg's and my van then. So... if one is buffing/compounding a paint that is clearcoated.... how does that go? I mean, I know how to buff fiberglass/gelcoat or non-clearcoated paint, but have never done anything with a clearcoat. Wouldn't it take the clearcoat off? That makes me think it would need to be re-painted/clearcoated afterward (waaay out of my league), but I really don't know. I'm only familiar with cars of the vintage/make of my "other car," which have problems with failing clearcoat.

I'd love to hear more about the buffing/compounding as applied to a clearcoated vehicle.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

Wax only offers protection to the paint, it doent really clean or remove scratches. A good wax done at least few times a year helps prevent scratches by covering the surface. It also saves the paint from UV rays, acid rain and other things.

Light scratches can be removed by hand using polishing compound. Sometimes if that wont remove them you can try rubbing compound go easy this is very abrasive. If you use rubbing you most likely will have to use polishing compound again after to get the shine back. It can be dificult to get it to look good by hand as you tend to put too much pressure on the scratch so you can remove too much paint in a small area. It is best to use a buffer (not orbital those are for wax) if you have one and know what you are doing. Even doing it wrong by hand can ruin the paint.

Anything other than wax and clay bars removes a little bit of the surface every time you use them. If the scratch it on top of the clear meaning the sticks transferred material onto the paint they are easy to fix. If they damaged the paints outer layer (clear in this case) only it can be buffed or even wet sanded lightly (1500 grit or higher number) and then buffed. Rubbing compound or sanding will remove the shine so it has to be mechanically buffed back. If the scratch is past the clear coat it could have to have paint work to repair the damaged area.

If you dont have or have never used a buffer you might want to take the van to detailer or body shop to ask them how much to fix it. Detailing a van is a big job. Just washing and claying one takes hours. A good detailed wax and its an all day job. I know because I do my own EB van 3-4 times a year and have been putting my summer detailing wax for a month. Maybe this weekend is the one since we are not camping....

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #9

Sorry if I sound dense here, but.... so one can buff/compound the clearcoat itself, just like paint? (I had this idea the clearcoat was too fragile for that, but maybe that's only my mid-80's car clearcoat.)

As I mentioned before, I have a buffer and have buffed/compounded numerous fiberglass boats (and one non-clearcoated car), but have never tackled anything with clearcoat. My Oxford White Ford van's paint is in good shape in that it has few scratches and no dents, but it is a bit dull ("flat") and I had thought about buffing/compounding it - however now that I know it has clearcoat, I'm out of my knowledge area. This thread is perfect timing (thanks GreyDawg!).
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Sorry if I sound dense here, but.... so one can buff/compound the clearcoat itself, just like paint? (I had this idea the clearcoat was too fragile for that, but maybe that's only my mid-80's car clearcoat.)

As I mentioned before, I have a buffer and have buffed/compounded numerous fiberglass boats (and one non-clearcoated car), but have never tackled anything with clearcoat. My Oxford White Ford van's paint is in good shape in that it has few scratches and no dents, but it is a bit dull ("flat") and I had thought about buffing/compounding it - however now that I know it has clearcoat, I'm out of my knowledge area. This thread is perfect timing (thanks GreyDawg!).
You can buff it as long as it is in good condition. You could have buffed that 80s car when the clear was still good.
Think of clear as tough as a solid color is. The main reason they use it is for environmental and cost reasons, no color pigments less cost and less pollution. Some paints on cars are even water based these days.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote