Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Power Window Failure

So last week I had my power window fail in my 2004 Ford van. BTW it fails in the down position and you can not pull the window up. I took off the panel but could only prop the window in the 2/3 closed position before it jammed. Repair at Ford dealer was over $400. Must be mostly parts as I dropped it off this AM and it was done by 10:00. Anyway have many people had a power window failure? I might start using it less as I've replaced all 4 power window risers in my 2001 BMW, some type of cheap plastic gear with that problem.

Pat

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #2

Re: Power Window Failure

I've never had any problem with a power window and I've had a lot of Fords. Do you have any idea on what parts they replaced? Might be good info for all of us to file away.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #3

Garage

For that dough, I hope it was more of a repair then just the fuse. Did you check that first?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Ford nails you for the actuator (???) or at least they did me. Mine was warrantee work and I don't think that there was even a problem with the actuator. Took it to a glass place and they said the window was pinched causing it to drag. Mine never did actually stop...just slow.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #5

Hi,
I should have explained the failure better. It was not electrical. While operating the window the cable that holds and pulls up the window cradle apparently came loose. The window then was able to drop down as nothing was holding it up. Further operation of the control caused the now loose cable to wrap around the regulator somehow as described by the repair person on the WO. They replaced the regulator which I understand to be the motor and the associated mechanisms. I didn't ask to see the old part which I regret now. The regulator was $150 + over $200 for labor though which seem quite a lot for the time it took. Hopefully just a fluke, albeit an expensive one.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #6

I had the glass pull out of the "cradle" on my F150 this winter when the glass was frozen and I made the bad assumption that motor would break it free. ( this was one of those what the heck were you thinking moments) It is a alignment nightmare, as any binding and it would pull out again after putting it back together. I don't know if the van window setup is the same, I've had the truck 9 years and this was the only time I've had a problem and it was self induced.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #7

There was never any drag or sticky operation, up to the failure it worked normally with no indication of any trouble.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Mine have failed twice, but it was both of them and turned out to be the big red fuse above the parking brake.
Bill