Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

PSA-Cover your windows when welding/grinding

So today whilst putting in some sound deadening I happen to look at my windows and saw they needed cleaning. Wondering if all the dots were inside or out I ran my hand over the window and my heart sank. Tiny pits all over the windows. And I was gonna get it tinted out here in a few weeks. I scraped with a blade but no, they are pits. So a quick internet search confirmed my fears.

When we welded and grinded all the holes in the van floor, I didn't even think to protect the glass. The hot sparks actually hit the window and pit it out. Looks like my three big ones are basically trash. Time to get really serious about hitting the junkyards.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Wow. Thanks for the warning! Sorry to hear it but I weld a good bit and never think to cover up glass. I should
Know since I've ruined some glasses that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

Not sure if it was the weld splatter or the grinding particles. One consolation is that it's kind of common. People just assume it's not gonna be an issue or like me, don't know any better the first time.

Depressing, but not the end of the world.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #4

Oops!

On the bright side, there are so frickin many econoline vans that it should be a non-issue to get replacements from wrecking yards.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
Oops!

On the bright side, there are so frickin many econoline vans that it should be a non-issue to get replacements from wrecking yards.

Think I found a donor about 45 minutes away and I need some interior parts too.

I just hope all the tints are straight. Ford has Green Tint, Dark Grey Tint, and Privacy Tint. As far as I can tell, late models just had the Dark Grey, but they may also call that Privacy.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Garage
both welding and grinding refuse will pit windows. I ruined my driver side mirror when installing my crl window. wasn't an issue as it gave me a good excuse to get the tow mirrors, but also kept me from being able to reuse it if we end up buying an older van and want to upgrade from the original mirrors.

good psa either way. lots of folks don't know this info. however, that's not where I thought the title of this thread was headed when I first saw it, lol. thought maybe you or the better half got caught you in the buff or something
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

I have been known to embarrass the wife here and there.

Good and pitted for sure. And I was gonna get them tinted soon too. Not like this.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I have been known to embarrass the wife here and there.
^^^ yep. me too (professional ******* )

and a good tint place would tell you before hand that the window isn't tint-able. theres no way the tint would lay down like it should
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

I think it would make the pits look worse, trap air in there or cause a bubble. Nothing I can do but replace the windows and move on. Ugh.