Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Member
 
sowega's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 35
Race van builds?

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum. Looking to pick up an E350 this week to make a dedicated race hauler for 15-20 track weekends a year. Will typically on carry one bike and the scooter, but will occasionally carry both racebikes and the scooter (on a hitch-mounted Mototote).

Currently brainstorming on a modular bed setup that will take up minimal space when not deployed, but be as close to a "real" bed as possible. The current setup idea leaves about 66 x 40 of open space in front of the bikes. The bikes won't be in the van at night (I love the Ducati, but not that much), so the "free space" is where I'd need it to rest in the travel config (along with a bunch of miscellaneous race gear).




So. . .any ideas?
__________________

__________________
www.eberhartcreative.com
sowega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mikracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,720
I cant see the pic you posted (at work) but there are a few iterations of this sliding bed frame. For the mattress part, you could make two cushions that fit the bed together and stack when not in bed mode.

The bed is almost at the end of the page on the link below...

alternative layout DIY build. - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum
__________________

__________________
2005 E350 Chateau - V10 - Agile Offroad 4x4
2003 BMW 540iT - M Sport
1958 Apache Fleetside - The weekend cruiser
mikracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 675
I really liked this concept for its usability. Needs a little refinement to be truly awesome.

Transformer seating solution - Expedition Portal
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Member
 
sowega's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 35
Hmmm, the pic isn't working for me, either. Let's see if this works.

__________________
www.eberhartcreative.com
sowega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Member
 
sowega's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I really liked this concept for its usability. Needs a little refinement to be truly awesome.

Transformer seating solution - Expedition Portal
That's a really cool idea; thanks for the link!

I think I just had a Eureka moment while walking the dog a few minutes ago, and sent it to two of my fabrication guys. If they say it's doable, I'll post up details and the build process.
__________________
www.eberhartcreative.com
sowega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC, NY
Posts: 11
I've got an EB with a 4 person bench (behind driver/passenger) that folds out to a full size bed.
when the bench is up it fits 2 bikes in the back, like your image and the green part is the bench. There's a little more room behind the rear wheels too.

If you don't already have em, get some pop out rear/side windows too.
2001chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Member
 
sowega's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001chromo View Post
I've got an EB with a 4 person bench (behind driver/passenger) that folds out to a full size bed.
when the bench is up it fits 2 bikes in the back, like your image and the green part is the bench. There's a little more room behind the rear wheels too.

If you don't already have em, get some pop out rear/side windows too.
Yeah, rear ventilation is going to be a thing, for sure. I had about two gallons left in a gas can on the way home last Sunday, and it was terrible. I'm thinking about some solar-powered plumbing vents (Ultra-Fab Mini Solar Vent Fan - Attic/Plumbing - WHITE - Trailer Cargo RV - NEW | eBay) on the roof, so that the fans are always pulling air out when I'm driving.
__________________
www.eberhartcreative.com
sowega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowega View Post
Yeah, rear ventilation is going to be a thing, for sure. I had about two gallons left in a gas can on the way home last Sunday, and it was terrible. I'm thinking about some solar-powered plumbing vents (Ultra-Fab Mini Solar Vent Fan - Attic/Plumbing - WHITE - Trailer Cargo RV - NEW | eBay) on the roof, so that the fans are always pulling air out when I'm driving.
I hear you.....I'm not carrying moto gas inside the van anymore....I picked up a rotopax and mount....but my rear bumper setup isn't done so that's a bit hard to haul at the moment. I've been using my buddies' gas and then paying for refilling the cans on the drive home.

I've also mounted an aluminess tray thing to a hitch mount to haul gas, chain lube, oil, etc. but I'm mostly carrying the moto on a hitch hauler so that's not working out either.
__________________

__________________
2008 E350 RB passenger advanced 4WD SMB penthouse
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W
2000 KTM 200 EXC
2006 Honda CRF 250X
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.