Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
On my "homemade" bumper, the substructure is all steel square tube and is really a Class V receiver hitch. It has round tube "receivers" for spindles at each end that accept swing arms for the tire and box. Both swing arm spindles can be removed from the the "receiver" tubes. It is very strong and did not need to be tied to the door hinges for support. The steel spindles and swing arms are very stout with little vibration and movement.

Aluminum swing arms are just not up to the pounding I give them.

This substructure was then powder coated as were the steel swing arms.

This is all covered with a aluminum "Bumper Cover" that is shaped... Make it look however you like.

It is actually very light when you consider that it includes the Class V hitch that other bumpers still require for trailer towing... and the aluminum bumper does not need to be engineered for strength and load carrying.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

If you want to borrow a welder, I have a Miller at home that hasn't been used in awhile. You can rent a spool gun for it.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Looks good. My question is.. why didn't/don't you go with Move?
What fun would that be??

....and they are not aluminum......
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
On my "homemade" bumper, the substructure is all steel square tube and is really a Class V receiver hitch. It has round tube "receivers" for spindles at each end that accept swing arms for the tire and box. Both swing arm spindles can be removed from the the "receiver" tubes. It is very strong and did not need to be tied to the door hinges for support. The steel spindles and swing arms are very stout with little vibration and movement.

Aluminum swing arms are just not up to the pounding I give them.

This substructure was then powder coated as were the steel swing arms.

This is all covered with a aluminum "Bumper Cover" that is shaped... Make it look however you like.

It is actually very light when you consider that it includes the Class V hitch that other bumpers still require for trailer towing... and the aluminum bumper does not need to be engineered for strength and load carrying.

Brilliant!!

Lot's of raw material for ideas there......I love the round receiver idea......so when you pull off the swingarms there are two holes in the top surface? Assuming the reciever tubes are welded full height....ie the height of the bumper. The structure also being the class V hitch is great!

How do you retain the swingarm tubes in the round reciever tubes? Surely not just gravity...

..and I like the idea of skinning steel with aluminum....

Quote:
If you want to borrow a welder, I have a Miller at home that hasn't been used in awhile. You can rent a spool gun for it.
I would love to.......may take you up on that...I can rent just guns? what I really need is talent... Worst case is I tack it together and find a real welder...
Old 08-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #15

I use two "Grub Bolts" at 90* to each other and at different heights. The spindle is tight in the receiver tube and the grub screws secure it.

We can final weld for you...

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
I use two "Grub Bolts" at 90* to each other and at different heights. The spindle is tight in the receiver tube and the grub screws secure it.

We can final weld for you...

The Australians at work call them grub screws .....nylon tipped?

I stopped by Industrial Metal today..... 3/16 thick material is thick!....and no sheet rems longer than 48"....

I can saw and machine it no problem...bending it may be another story.....there is only one 20 degree bend in the present design.

Any thoughts on making the top 3/16" stock and the face 1/8"? The face piece is where the bends are....The top is flat.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #17

Do it all out of.3/16 6061.

Should be able to help you bend it...

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #18

Have those pieces at least quoted for laser cutting. What you've got there wouldn't be that expensive.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #19

All I've got to say is why no storage in the bumper?

And whatever insane thing twogone has ( can't ever find the pics but IIRC it's end cap doors )
Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
All I've got to say is why no storage in the bumper?

And whatever insane thing twogone has ( can't ever find the pics but IIRC it's end cap doors )
You're not the only one asking that question....my neighbor, 1der, etc...

It simplifies it slightly......or break even...swap step sheet metal for storage sheet metal.

I could go another inch deeper front to back.....however, my driveway is only so long and I need to park behind the van every night.

I'll try to find twogone's insane thing....still gathering ideas......

I've got an interesting idea for mounting the factory backup sensors; will hopefully post some stuff today.

I'm planning on some flush mount LEDs similar to the ones on the Traverse above....perhaps tow on the rear face and another pair on the angled faces of the bumper.