Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

Garage
Question Rear Differential shock mounts for 2004 SMB 4x4

Hello Everyone.. This is my first post.
I have a 2003 7.3l with the SMB 4x4 conversion. (Yes it's the holy grail)
With less then 100,000 my rear dana 60 started making a metallic thumping sound and it turns out that the limited slip discs had come loose and scored the housing rendering the case un-serviceable. At the recommendation of my mechanic we ordered a Jasper re-manufactured rear end.

I called Peter DelToro at SMB and ordered new rear shock mounts which he said were all the same for the SMB 4x4 conversions. Turns out that the mounts I received are about 1 inch shorter then the ones I have installed on my broken axle. Looking through the forum I found a couple of pictures of the rear shock mounts from 2 different installs and they appear to be the shorter version like the new ones that I received. Problem is the two different installed mounts seem to be placed differently on the only two examples I could find.

Can anyone offer some advice on how critical the vertical position of the lower mount is for shock performance and or reliability? I'm installing new Fox Shox 2.0's to replace my old Ranchos.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Darryl

darryldickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #2

It depends on the length of the shocks you're installing. SMB cuts off the old ones and moves them up higher for clearance.

If you decide the SMB mounts won't work I've got a couple of Chassis Unlimited 3.5" axle tube lower shock mounts leftover from an axle swap. 1/2" Shock Eye Mounting Hole-1.75" Shock Mounting Width.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the info Joe. On my van the original lower mounts were mostly cut off and a custom made mount was welded on the top/side of the axle tube. The replacement mounts look the same but are shorter making the vertical distance to the top mount more.

Do your leftover mounts bolt on via U bolts or do they weld on? The mechanic looking at my problem thought there might be bolt on truck mounts that could be adjusted to get the dimensions as they are now. The fox shox are sopposed to be a direct replacement for the Ranchos per Peter but it may be that the Rancho dimensions are different. I did find out that the total travel of the Fox Shox rears is just over 8 inches.
Thanks again for your help,
Darryl
Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

No, these are supposed to be welded on. There are a few folks on this forum that are pretty knowledgeable on this stuff but my recommendation would be to install the axle and then fit the shocks and weld the shock tabs on.

Here's a couple of pics for ya. One is the original SMB mount from my 2005 SMB. Welded directly on the side. If you want the chassis unlimited just send me a PM. They're pretty burly. Or, heck for that matter if you haven't gotten the Jasper and you're in Arizona you can have my D60 semi-floater. Nobody seems to want it for $150. And welcome to the forum
Attached Thumbnails
rear shock mount.jpg   shock tab_2.JPG   shock tab_1.JPG  
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks again Joe,
Great Pictures. As mine is one of the first dozen SMB 4x4 conversions, I don't have as many leafs as in your picture so the geometry is most likely different. The Jasper has already been delivered so I'm stuck with it as long as it works. That's why I'm trying to get the shock mount issue settled soon. I'll see what Peter has to say Monday. I have lots of confidence in the shop working my van. They only work on ford diesel trucks (and vans of course). Like your advice to weld the mounts last.
If i can I'll try to take pictures of the old mount side by side with the new ones. I would have done it Friday but I had knee surgery Wed and not too flexible at the moment.

BTW... My Grandfather had the very first gas station in Flagstaff and my mother was born there.. Safe Travels..
Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

That's awesome. Where was the gas station? No lack of them now.

The leaf springs are Deavers which I added later. But the location of the shock mount didn't change.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Garage
Not really sure where it was Joe. He moved to the LA area after the depression and started a machine shop. Is it OK to include non van talk here?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldickie View Post
Not really sure where it was Joe. He moved to the LA area after the depression and started a machine shop. Is it OK to include non van talk here?
Absolutely. This is an enthusiast forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here. I spend time on here to acquire info and if I have any to share it. The rest is gravy.

It's the forum vampires that don't contribute anything except to sell their van with free advertising that's a bummer but just my opinion. Good luck with your axle project.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks JoeH,
Talked to Peter Del Toro this morning and he said that the bracket he sent was shorter but that they have used it on old builds like mine. Just a matter of rotating the bracket upwards to get the same shock extension. I talked to my mechanic and he agrees with you that the best method is to install the new differential, attach the shock to the upper mount then locate the bottom mount, mark, then weld it. All is good...

I accidentally called Alan Feld twice while trying to call the factory. (My contact list needs some editing... We did a couple of trips to Baja with the Felds, one trip included Johnathan. We were also the trip to Copper Canyon with the editor of Overland Journal some years ago. Great memories. It was probably that abuse that wore my axle out prematurely, or perhaps the rallies.... Just kidding!!

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
BTW... If you have a penthouse top and the roll down curtain screws are rusting out, I can tell you why...

Darryl
Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
It's the forum vampires that don't contribute anything except to sell their van with free advertising that's a bummer but just my opinion. Good luck with your axle project.

I don't think too many folks complain about seeing more SMB's advertised even if the owners don't contribute otherwise. I for one don't mind seeing other rigs and what their asking prices are, it gives me a better idea what mine is worth, and it's always nice to see photos of different interiors. In addition, there are always several folks looking to buy, so having more to choose from must be a good thing.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote