Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

Rear pop out window question

I've been on the lookout for a rear pop out window or 2. I located one at wrecking yard back east, but it sounds a little pricey at $210 shipped for the glass, frame and all hardware.

By chance is the stationary glass that comes out inner changeable with the pop out frame or are they 2 different cuts of glass? If they were the same, it would save me some cash.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #2

Re: Rear pop out window question

Theres a member on this forum (redoval) thats selling them. He's located in Torrance, CA so a little closer than the East Coast. Might want to PM him and see if he will ship.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee
I've been on the lookout for a rear pop out window or 2. I located one at wrecking yard back east, but it sounds a little pricey at $210 shipped for the glass, frame and all hardware.

By chance is the stationary glass that comes out inner changeable with the pop out frame or are they 2 different cuts of glass? If they were the same, it would save me some cash.
You can change them without any problem. just need the frame, glass and the window handles. The inner frame -if you have it- you can drill for the handles.
Take butyl to seal the new frames
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1691.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #4

Ques was: By chance is the stationary glass that comes out inner changeable with the pop out frame or are they 2 different cuts of glass? If they were the same, it would save me some cash.

Answer: The glass itself is not interchangeable. They have different mounting points. Stationary has four fixed bolts through the glass. The pop outs have three, two at the top (hinges) and one for the latch. The glass is tempered so any attempt at drilling will result in breakage.

You will want EVERYTHING from the pop outs, everything. Glass, Frame, Button bolts, latching hardware, the clips that fit into the door to hold the latch, screws, acorn nuts, etc.. Make sure it is complete and they will go in pretty darn easily.

Also, keep in mind there are different tints, some dark, some light, some mirrored. Some of these can be changed with tinting film, but typically the mirrored finish cannot be changed with film.

Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #5

$210 for one window is awfully steep, although probably a lot of that cost is packing and shipping. At junkyards usually they are $25-50 each.

I'd wait and try to get two from the same van, to make sure the windows match (tint/no tint). If you cruise pick-n-pulls on any regular basis you'll eventually come across a set. Pretty much every time I go I find at least one set, if not more. I'm on the east coast, though... maybe they are less in demand out here?

As others have said, make sure you get ALL the parts. Especially the small bracket that mounts inside the rear door and provides the backing plate/threaded points for the latch screws to attach to. You can still make do if you don't have that, but it's a pain. You have to use tiny nuts up inside the door cavity and tighten each one individually.

You probably already saw my tutorial about installing the pop-out windows, but if not, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11025
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. BrianW...I did see your tutorial and have it bookmarked for the job, thankyou. It seems pretty straight forward. I'll contact redoval to see if he has any available. Thanks again all.