Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #1

Replacing Screen in Flip-Out Window

I'm replacing the screen in my E250 flip-out window. As I'm into the project, I have 2 problems:

1. I can't find the right size spline. The smallest spline I can find is 3mm (~0.118"), but that's too big for the slot in the window. The spline I pulled out of the window measures 2mm (~0.080"). No luck with my local RV dealer.

2. I can't get the window back in (pictures below). It appears to (possibly) slide into the channel, above, but won't stay when I close the window. There must be a trick I haven't figured out.

Thanks! Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2091.jpg   IMG_2092.jpg  

wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
I'm replacing the screen in my E250 flip-out window. As I'm into the project, I have 2 problems:

1. I can't find the right size spline. The smallest spline I can find is 3mm (~0.118"), but that's too big for the slot in the window. The spline I pulled out of the window measures 2mm (~0.080"). No luck with my local RV dealer.

2. I can't get the window back in (pictures below). It appears to (possibly) slide into the channel, above, but won't stay when I close the window. There must be a trick I haven't figured out.

Thanks! Terry
Terry, I'm searching now myself. I can only get 0.125 locally, which fits in the grove without the screen, so I think it's too big. Never repaired screens.

This is the smallest I have found, it's hollow so may work for you.

https://www.pellandent.com/Hehr-Screen-Spline-Black

Please lemme know how it works out. Not sure they'll ship to AK
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
Terry, I'm searching now myself. I can only get 0.125 locally, which fits in the grove without the screen, so I think it's too big. Never repaired screens.

This is the smallest I have found, it's hollow so may work for you.

https://www.pellandent.com/Hehr-Screen-Spline-Black

Please lemme know how it works out. Not sure they'll ship to AK
Thanks WanderingBob, 3 mm (0.120) was the smallest I could find, too. I replaced screens when I worked at a hardware store during high school. Once you get the spline started in the groove, keep tension on it with one hand while you set it in the groove with the 'pizza cutter thingy' in the other.

My rubber spine is still pliable, so I will probably reuse that. I still can't figure out how to get the screen out and I do NOT want to break it. I guess I'll replace the screen while it's still in the van.

Why would SMB use such a screen nonstandard screen?!?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
Thanks WanderingBob, 3 mm (0.120) was the smallest I could find, too. I replaced screens when I worked at a hardware store during high school. Once you get the spline started in the groove, keep tension on it with one hand while you set it in the groove with the 'pizza cutter thingy' in the other.

My rubber spine is still pliable, so I will probably reuse that. I still can't figure out how to get the screen out and I do NOT want to break it. I guess I'll replace the screen while it's still in the van.

Why would SMB use such a screen nonstandard screen?!?
Just to clarify, the link I posted is for a smaller than 0.125, it is for .095. Mine came with no screen nor spline so have to get a new one anyway. So I will try this.

On another thread, I saw that SMB used Hehr windows, so be a source of more info about your window.
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBob View Post
Just to clarify, the link I posted is for a smaller than 0.125, it is for .095. Mine came with no screen nor spline so have to get a new one anyway. So I will try this.

On another thread, I saw that SMB used Hehr windows, so be a source of more info about your window.
Thanks. I thought the link was for 0.125 spline. I checked Hehr, but didn't find anything. I think I'll call SMB next week and ask them.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Check w CR Laurence, they sold that window.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Thanks 1der