Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #11

Thanks, Jochi. I'm at 35000 miles or so now, and the tape is still holding up very well.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #12

We havent noticed any paint wear yet....but will keep an eye out for it.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
One thing we noticed was that when we clean th exterior of th van, that the area under the edge of the PHT usually gets missed and forgotten, and that same area gets overlooked when cleaning the interior.

This is the same area that when left dusty or dirty would help increase the rate of friction between the van paint and the PHT gasket.

We just cleaned all the dust and BBR pen-striping off the van on Wednesday, and when we crnked up the PHT for Thrsday's tailgate party, we saw a big dusty area at the back of the PHT.

....now I have to figure a way to remember to clean that area and a method for actually cleaning it...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #14

Re: Roof Paint Wear Under PH Top

I don't understand the whole tape thing. I have pulled the rubber gasket and gotten an new one form SMB (only $40 with the rivets). I painted the top with BlackJack elastomeric paint (Energy Star cool roof-highly rated). There are a couple of bare metal spots on the roof.

How does tape help? Why not just repaint with something thicker? Maybe not line-x but anything would do. In from the rain gutters to the front of the PH top are not visible. I plan on using more blackjack (pure reflective white).

I just don't see what problem tape solves except to cover the spot. Paint seems better.

Am I missing the point?

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #15

I do paint over the wear spots with paint, too (to prevent rust) -- but the tape is much thicker than paint, and so it prevents me from having to paint again every few years when it wears through again. The tape is hard plastic, about 1 mm thick.

-- Geoff
Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #16

After 4.5 years my SMB provided but self applied front tape pieces are starting to peel up but the sides are holding on quite well. However, my back gutter, unrelated to PH rubbing, is rusting through and the paint is falling off. I assume since I park on an angle and only 4 miles from ocean that pooled condensation has taken its toll. Since I leaving the van at SMB to get my van roof cracks repaired (another problem) I'm also having them remove the tape and have them LineX the van roof including the rear gutter and the entire penthouse shell itself as it has multiple and what I consider severe fissures (and another problem). That will take care of all of my roof problems!

I was at SMB last week and all the new penthouses on the showroom floor where LineX'd and tape was already applied to the van roofs.

FYI - I've had Rhino Lining in my pickup truck bed since 1992 and other than some gouge touch up has been totally care free. I hope LineX is similar.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I would suggest that Line-X may be a significant improvement over Rhino.

We did some research a number of years ago looking for a meterial to 'paint' our old truck entirely. Learning where Line-X came from and what the ptoducts are used for sold me. There used to be some pretty good descriptions and displays (video) of how Line-X works to coat building interiors to protect from bombs. One of the interesting displays was coating a cinder block and dropping it off a building only to have it bounce and remain in one piece.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

All the Line-X I've seen is rough; do they make a smooth version? I would think the rough stuff would eat the roof seal up fast.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
All the Line-X I've seen is rough; do they make a smooth version? I would think the rough stuff would eat the roof seal up fast.
I've heard that you can achieve a smoother LineX finish by having it applied at a higher pressure. I have a friend who owns and operates a LineX dealership in Ventura County, if you'd like me to ask him.

Herb
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #20

Whitewhale,

I'm wondering if you would give a report on how the Line-X solution is holding up over time? I'm about to do the exact same thing and thought I would ask for any tips, suggestions, gotchas, etc.

Has it chewed up the PHT gasket noticably? Did they get it in the right places or would you go bigger or smaller surface area?

How "thick" did they put it on and would you go thicker/thinner? (I presume that we aren't talking about a seriously thick application like you would consider for a work truck bed liner, we just want to coat the area)

Was it difficult taking off the protective tape?

Any updates or thoughts are appreciated before I go for it.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote