Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #21

Re: Roof Paint Wear Under PH Top

Well 6 months after I originally intended to I got my PH and van roof line-X several weeks ago. The PH was severely cracked and leaking staining even the inside canvas, the PH brake light was rusted out ($11), the clearcoat was falling off, my gutter rust was getting worse and I had taken the tape off 8 months ago and gettin a lot of bare metal rubs. I would just get sick everytime I looked at it. Anyway its like a new van now. I removed the Yakima tracks and gasket, sanded down the worst areas to insure bonding, wirebrushed out the rust and primed the metal and then took it in. I have sanded down some of the Line-X where the gasket rides in the side gutters and have put the SMB tape in the front and back. If I get more tape I'll do the sides. The tape now protects the gasket. I found that the PH driver side front shell was almost an inch taller than the passenger side. No wonder I had trouble with it settling in over the gutter. I took my belt sander and removed at least 3/4" of that corner fitting it to the roof without the gasket before the Line-X. Putting the new gasket on wasn't too bad. I've now sealed around the entire van opening roof gasket with silicone to close the gap with the Line-X as I had them spray the van roof up to it. I also had them go all the way to the windshield so I don't have any paint to maintain above the gutter. Their color match to Baja tan was perfect (thank-you Kyle) and the workmanship was very good. I certainly recommend Line-X of El Cajon to anyone down here in San Diego. One other thing I had done was my side ladder in black - boy does that look cool and no slip now too and the kick area behind the ladder in tan LIne-X. I'm seriously considering doing my rear bumper when I go back in for the quarter panels.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #22

How about some photos??

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #23

before

Note shell height difference in corners

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #24

Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #25
Site Team

One word: WOW!

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #26

Very nice!

Ballpark cost?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #27

$1450; Hitch carrier & ladder (black) $200, PH, van roof and ladder kick (Baja Tan match) $1250. I did a lot of the prep and the reassembly (ladder, roof rack gasket etc). I am very happy with it.